Confused

Wiskyman

I have a Fostex FD8 and a computer.
Right now im recording onto a zip drive that I bought for a hundred bucks.

My question is.
How do I get my multitracker to record onto my computer.

Any help would be great. Thanks

I could be wrong about this, but I'll do my best to provide an answer.

There is no way to actually link your FD-8 to record on your PC's hard disc, if that's what you are referring to. You can, however, record on the FD-8 and then go from the RCA line out jacks into your computers sound card's LINE IN(or if the FD-8 and your sound card both have digital I/O, you can use them instead). From there your mixing options are obviously limited, but your songs will now be on your PC instead of the ZIP.

You could also use your FD-8 simply as an external mixer and buy multitracking software (such as N-Track, Cakewalk, Cubase, etc.) to record directly to the HD. If you want to do multiple tracks at one, you'll also need an interface such as the Event Gina or Darla. I don't think this is what you meant, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

I have considered the FD-8 and it looks to be a pretty decent machine. I see it in a lot of magazines with the ZIP drive which I find to be its only turn off. ZIP discs are a bit costly ($15 for a 250mb disc) which would hold about 20 minutes or less of 8 track music. I figure for that cost, why not pop in a hardrive. I know you can buy the fd-8 with one. Check the manual, it should tell you which ones it will support. As far as that goes, doesn't the fd-8 have a SCSI port? External harddrive capability, right?

Peace, Jim

Back