confused; keyboards, synths, pianos...

Karel Lootens

hello,

I've been looking around for a "keyboard" for a while on which I'd like to learn how to play. On my search I've run across keyboards stage piano's and synthesizers... can anyone explain me what the difference is?
from what I've learned synths (as the name indicates) synthesize their sound through algorithms, is there such a thing as a non-FM synthesizer?
what about keyboards and piano's? (not the stringed wooden instruments :) )

I'd like to have some decent sounds on it, different instruments... but especially a good piano and maybe some strings or saxophone.

what type of instrument should I look for? synthesizer/keyboard/piano?

is the Yamaha PSR-300 any good? (first one I found closeby)
what should I look for that has (semi) weighted keys? didn't find any k2000's for sale anywhere near me, and I'm a bit wary of buying online.

I'm a complete newbie, so ANY input would be appreciated, so I can go on a search myself with at least a bit of prior knowledge.

thanks,
Karel

FM was just one type of synthesis -- others include analog synthesis, virtual anaglog synthesis, sample-based synthesis and soft synthesis. This last requiring willingness to gain some knowledge of computers and also to work mostly in a computer environment.

Yes, the Yamaha PSR series are, by and large, well made and good sounding. I think there are some that are still out there without midi --- don't buy one of those, even if you don't know much about midi right now. Midi is the key to expansion and will make your PSR useful as, if nothing else, a master keyboard in the future.

If possible, go and play the PSR 300 that you found near you. It won't have semi-weighted keys, but if you don't mind the light touch of the synth-style keyboard (that's what it's called - 'synth-style') you'll find the price difference alone may be enough to convince you to buy it - it will probably be a third the price of any kind of semi-weighted 'board.

Keyboards and Pianos

Choosing a right instrument in the keyboard family is alrgely depnedent not only on price but on what you hope to accomplish with it. If you want something to just mess around with at home then an entry level machine like the Yamaha PSR293 or even 340 is you best choice. If you however want to get more serious then you wioll want to go for the bigger numbers like the PSR450, 550, 1100, 2100, 9000 or Tyros. The point is if you want to have the facility of playing auto-rhythms (sound llike a band) then go for those arranger keyboards which the PSR series are. ROland makes some really good ones ike the VA5 and VA7.

Korg also makes some good ones as well. Synthesisers well a good if you are going to play in a band or with anothe rmusican or if you going to do studio work. For solo work they are good but you need to drag a drum machine with you or added sequencer and they tend to get monotonous after a while. Bottom line if you are looking for good sounds Kord, Roland Kurzweil are the brands to watch out for. The bottom line is you wnat to get value for yourmoney no matter how much you spend. I spent a fortune on a PSR8000 when they first came out only to find that they do not have a step record function which is just dumb. Now I think I have exahusted my word limit. If you need more info then just email me ok.

Back