Confused Delta 1010 help!!!!!!

keithersgsx2003

I am very confused as to why i can't Pan individual tracks in conjunction with my Deta 1010 "rackmount" version.

My setup is this

Sm57 mic plugged into a peavy Mixer

from the Peavy mixer i have a ts cable plugged into input 1 on the delta 1010 interface.

I have another ts cable from output 1 going back into my mixer.

I am using passive monitors, so the mixer is an amp as well.

Im trying to record one track at a time and i like to pan my guitars.........

It also sounds like crap when I try to record more than one track........its like it all just bleeds together.

So im wondering how i can Isolate each track..............and also pan each track individually.....

my old setup was a Fast track usb........I would record the same way.

SM57 2 to 3 inches from the center of my speaker.

From there it would go into the Fast track interface and into my computer.

Ive never had a problem isolating my tracks until i got the Delta 1010?????

The first track you record sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!! .............other than the fact that i cant pan........

When its time to record track 2 everything just bleeds together and sounds like garbage........

do i need a TRS cable to do this?????? ..........or to "PAN" per say.....

I do believe im thinking way to hard into this and its got me thoroughly confused...........

Im going to buy the M-audio Octane pre-amp within the next couple of weeks as well.....

does anyone have a setup like this where they are recording one track at a time

Oh,,,,,,the reason I have so many ins and outs is because as soon as i get this down im gonna be recording my band.

Cheers everyone!!!!!!!!!!

my guess would be that they way you're taking signal from and feeding signal back to your mixer is probably the source of your problem. Can you elaborate on how you have things connected...

my guess would be that they way you're taking signal from and feeding signal back to your mixer is probably the source of your problem. Can you elaborate on how you have things connected...

Hey Jeff, thanks for the reply!!!!!

First off my mixer has 8 channels, its a peavey XR 684F

1. My sm57 is plugged into channel 2 of my mixer via XLR

2. To get the "mic" signal to the delta 1010, i have a TS cable or regular guitar cable plugged into the "line output" right on the mixer

3. The TS cable that is plugged into the line output on the front of the mixer is plugged into the Line 1 input of the Delta 1010.

4. To hear or "monitor" what im doing i have a TS cable plugged into a line level insert on channel 1 of my mixer.

I know with XLR i should have the capability to record via stereo......left and right.......i should be able to chose whichever i like........

I have plugged the TS cable into the Left output, right output, and Monitor output of my peavy amp/mixer and i can never pan right..................I can however hear the mix in both of my speakers...... i just cant isolate them by panning left or right...............when i pan hard right in my sequencer i dont hear anything at all...............when i pan to the center all of the speakers play...............when i pan left.............all of the speakers play......

also................. shouldnt i be able to use just 1 input and 1 output to record seperate tracks individually without them bleeding through.............

I think your right..... i do believe it is my mixer............this is just temporary for now............until i get the M-audio octane preamp......

the octane has 8 channels with 8 direct outs..............my mixer does not have that option............

so when i include the octane to my signal chain i will just use the mixer for monitoring purposes, and not for preamplifying my microphone signal.

any help at all would be soooooooo much appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!

CHEERS!!!!!

couple things. I can't tell if that mixer is a stereo or mono mixer. Do the channels have pan pots?

Also, i think the root of the problem is that, probably everything in the mixer is going to that line out. So, thats fine when you record your first track, because its taking the only signal present (the mic in front of your guitar) and sending it to the line out. The problem is, if you are sending the output from the computer *back* to the mixer, then you have a mic in front the guitar for a second track, then you are recording the line out, then that line out probably has the track you are trying to record PLUS the track you are monitoring... and that will sound bad quick I imagine. So, does that mixer have "inserts" on the mic channels? probably the best way to get discrete signals from each channel into your 1010 would be to do the ol' half-click into the insert jack to get signal into your 1010 to record.

And, about stereo. You only get stereo when you have two separate sources or mics. So, if you are recording your guitar with one mic, then you want a mono channel armed in your recording software. Once you have that mono track, then you can pan it left/right in your mix. The only thing i record in "stereo" is drum overheads and room mics, and even then, I record them as two separate mono channels in my computer. Then I can pan one left and one right, but I can control how much left/right each track is. Plus, I can add eq or effects and control levels of the two sides separately. So, really, you don't ever really WANT to record a stereo track (hope that made sense).

Jeff your awesome!!!!!!!!

My mixer has NO panning capabilities.

The mixer only has line level inserts............i think anyway...... but they are on each channel.

the mixer is really designed for running PA equipment......like DJing and such.....its by no means meant for recording......Im just trying to use what i have until i get that M-audio octane preamp.

BUT..............

that has to be my problem, "the mixer out deal"

to answer your question, i am basically sending everything i am recording to one "out"............so when i am monitoring it will record what i am "monitoring" as WELL as what i am trying to record in the process as well.

Thank you sooooooo much!!!!!!!

CHEERS!!!!

Cheers. The insert trick ought to work though. An insert jack is an combination input and output meant to put an effect or processor of some kind after the preamp and before the "master" mix (usually pre fader). So, take that TS cable, plug it one click into the insert jack on the channel that you have your mic plugged into and you should get a discrete signal into your 1010 *without* the stuff you're monitoring.

And you're right, that mixer is really meant as a PA head. So, it doesn't really have the faculties that you'd desire for recording (most standard small format mixers don't have the faculties for multitrack recording- i.e. direct outs for each channel being the big thing).

Anyway, when you get setup with the Octane, you'll have 8 discrete channels to go into the 8 analog channels on your 1010. You'll need to do something about your monitors. Look for an active set of monitors. You may even want a super cheap mixer just so you can have a handy volume knob for your monitors. A few mfg's actually make a unit for this purpose. I've never used one, but a Mackie BigKnob comes to mind and I think PreSonus has something too.

Good luck, mang.:drunk:

Update!!!!

So i still can't pan my Delta 1010...........i figured out why i cant mulitrack........but i was bored a little while ago and decided to plug in my headphones into output 1 on the back of the delta 1010....................I then tried to pan in my Sequencer...."Sonar 7XL"...... hard left then hard right while monitoring different sound clips that came with my sequencer program...............................and NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

Why can't i pan...........

this is driving me nuts.........

I know its operator error........

I have tried to pan in the Delta control panel,,,,,,in Sonar etc etc etc....
A TS 1/4 inch connection is pugged from output 1 of the delta 1010....... into an input on my mixer..........My mixer does NOT have panning capabilities........

But even if im just MONITORING music in sonar WHY CANT I PAN LEFT AND RIGHT............ if i pan HARD RIGHT...........it still plays out of the damn left speaker..............AAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHH

What are some different setups you guys are using with the delta 1010?????

I wish i could get this figured out because the Delta 1010 is an AMAZING interface............

I just wish I wasnt so stupid..... :(

The delta's outputs are no stereo / headphone outputs. They're all mono line level outputs. So you have 8 mono ins and 8 mono outs. In order to pan something you'd need to connect output 1 and 2 to the left and right input of a stereo input of your mixer. Then you need to choose a stereo output combination for your master output in your recording software. They're called Delta 1/2, Delta 3/4, Delta 5/6 and Delta 7/8 if I remember correctly but they may be called different on your system. If you pan a signal in a stereo bed, the signal will be on both channels if centered, will be on channel 1 when panned hard left and will be on channel 2 only if panned hard right. That translates to left/right on your mixer. There really is no other way.

Cheers
Tim

Back