Confused can you help me ASAP

timnmelinda

For my daughter I am setting up a home rec studio, she will be recording vocals, guitar she wanted a drum machine but I am leaning towards keyboards/synths was thinking of soft synths but she is going to have much to learn just with the recording end let alone learning softsynths also so
I was thinking to give her drums, and allow for much more musical fill either a personal keyboard or a beginners synth so I need to learn...
I was thinking about Yamaha DGX305. DGX505, PSR273 (which I was leaning to as it has midi i/o which could act as controller if we do expand to soft synth) Then i found Casio WK3000, which reads very well but I have never thought much of Casio finally I found Alesis QS6.2 61, at aprice that is pushing, but I could afford, then I would have more of a real machine (I thinK? of a semi pro or pro level)
Any ideas, sugestions, I really need to get what ever I am going to get on order So Help is greatly appreciated!

Do you already have a computer? If so, you should reconsider softsynths. For the amount you're interested in spending, you'll get much more variety (and probably quality)

Yes we have a good pc brand new for this studio, as stated I am just worried about the learning curve, I figure it will be plenty learning the recording software at first, which is why I am thinking give her something with canned sounds but making sure it will also work as a midi controller so we can expand into soft synths when she is ready

The QS 6.2 would be a very good option, because it's Midi Implementation is really good. Not only do you get the physical keys, pitchbend and modulation wheels for MIDI control, the 4 sliders can output MIDI control data, as well as 2 assignable pedal inputs. This all allows for a significant amount of realtime control, of both the onboard sounds, as well as parameters of a soft synth. Plus the QS 6.2 can be loaded with expandable ROM cards (as well as your own custom sounds via software that comes with it, and a flash card). The Alesis also offers comprehensive operation as an external sound source, when being sequenced by PC. And to top it off, you get some of the best effects, in a keyboard in this price range. Personally I would recommend the spending the extra dollars for the QS 6.2 as it is a (Semi) Pro level board and the others are more Entry level. As far as the Roland goes, I would say probably not as everything it has to offer, can replicated with software and the Alesis.

Back