Conflicting Opinions on DMP3 vs Omni Pres?

TheOneTrueMatt

I've been searching for info on this and have found a couple conflicting responses, which is why I decided to post with a little info on my specific situation. Otherwise I'd avoid a potentially repetetive n00b post at all costs.

I have the M-Audio Omni Studio I was just about ready to buy a DMP3, figuring that the Omni Studio mic pres being "based on DMP2 technology" still probably meant they weren't as good as the DMP3 especially since the DMP3 costs half what the Omni Studio package does. But now I've heard a few posts saying if I'm looking to really upgrade my mic pres, the DMP3 won't be a huge improvement over the Omni Pres.

Part of the reason I decided I do need to upgrade is when I turn up the gain on either of my mic pres past about half way, I get a lot of hiss. At first I thought it was the room noise, but it happens when I don't have a mic plugged in as well, so I figured I need a cleaner mic pre. I have plans to buy a new preamp, RNC and a new mic or two, upgrade everything in that signal chain pretty much, but I can't afford over $200 for mic pres and if the DMP3 isn't that much of an improvement, maybe I should just focus on the mics and RNC?

Back