Conecting monitors to my audigy for mixing

incursio

Hi gang. Not looking to do any live recording, just want to figure out a way to use my Mackie HR824 monitors with my PC (for mixing and messing around with plugins).

The PC has a SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum setup, so in addition to the card, there is that stand-alone box that sits on top of the PC. The box has SPDIF I/O, optical I/O, coax I/O, and a digital minijack out.

The Mackie HR824 monitors have XLR and phono inputs.

I'm guessing that I need a special adaptor or some other piece of hardware in the middle to convert the signal. Any ideas on a low-budget solution?

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

You can get a splitter that takes a 1/8" Stereo male end to two 1/4" female mono ends (not a Y adapter) that goes in your card's rear out in the PCI slot - run a TR or TRS cable to the monitors. Or you can get a 1/8" male piece that becomes two RCA connections - run RCA cables to your monitors. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input (no pun intended - hehe).

I would need to leave the current connections on the card itself intact, as I want to still use the machine to play games and have the surround sound setup.

I need to figure out a way to use the SPDIF coax, SPDIF optical, etc. to connect the monitors.

I have a USB WAVE Terminal (http://www.proaudiomusic.com/keyboards/waveterminal-U2A.htm) device, which is a nice little device for converting signals, but can't seem to get this to work right.

It is powered via a USB connection, and basically, I run the SPDIF coax out from the Audigy and into the Wave Terminal, then from there, I have the 2 TRS 1/4 inch phonos running to the monitors. But when I powered up the Wave Terminal device, the monitors gave a really nasty "pop" and I figured it didn't like it, so I disconnected it - lol - don't wanna fry my Mackies ....

Yeah, to run it from either S/PDIF or the optical outs you'll need some type of D/A converter box. I'm not sure what's in the market for a budge 2-channel converter (Apogee makes one that runs around $1000). You may have to shop around. In the end, it may be simpler to just plug your monitors into your soundcard when you're mixing and switch it all back when you're done.

And looking at the link you provided--it appears the Wave unit should be able to do what you want. How did you have it configured in the setup menu when you got the pop?

Yeah, it really should - here is a better product info page on the U24 Wave Terminal device:

http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=10&page=1

I actually didn't have it configured, per se, on the PC. Was hoping I could use it as sort of a pass-through device. I will tinker with the settings on the PC and see what I can get out of it. I'm just petrified to plug my monitors back in, though - that was a really nasty pop ...

Good to hear. It looked like you needed to set some stuff up on that control panel graphic on the computer.

Back