Condensors on high SPL sources?

How well do condensor mics hold up close miced on drums (snare, kick,toms) or bass? I have heard the element can stretch form high SPLs. I also mic my 4x12 cab, and it is very loud, with a condensor. Mr. Gearst?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It depends on the mic. The beta 91 is a condenser that goes in kick drums. Audio Technica has the AE2500 (I think thats the model), that has both a dynamic and condenser element that is designed to be a kick mic. Some people even use SDCs on snare, and LDCs on toms. If the mic can take the SPLs you will be fine.

SRR said:
It depends on the mic. The beta 91 is a condenser that goes in kick drums. Audio Technica has the AE2500 (I think thats the model), that has both a dynamic and condenser element that is designed to be a kick mic. Some people even use SDCs on snare, and LDCs on toms. If the mic can take the SPLs you will be fine.

What SPL does the inside of a kick drum have?

I don't know, but the Shure website has the 91 listed with a max spl of 156dB and 160dB depending on the load, so less then that :D :cool: .

yeah there are quite alot of condensors made that can handle pretty high spls without distorting. alot of these are made for certain applications such as the 91 mentioned. i would try and refrain from buying a nice LDC and jamming it inside a kick or putting it right against the speaker of your cab. ill use a ldc often in front of the kick a foot or so, picks up the entire kit nicely for an open sound. same with the guitar, 10" away of axis combined with a dynamic on the cone can add alot.

I have my AT4050 about 3" away from the cone. Probably too close. I'm gonna experiment with placing it farther away, in conjunction with a 57. My cab is in a flat, isolated room, just cranked beyond belief! Man, I love the sound I'm getting now, but I don't wanna break my new favorite mic!

The 4050 is rated for 137dB, IIRC, so unless blood is spurting from your ears, you can close-mic your cab. Just avoid wind, of the blowing-out-a-match variety.

Back