Condensor Mic for recording vocals!

Brad_C

What condensor mic would you suggest to record vocals? I am looking at about 150-250 canadian for the mic. A little more won't matter of course. Thanks alot.

It will depend a lot on the voice. For a brighter sounding mic, try out the Studio Projects C-1 and the Rode NT-1. Many folks like the MXL v67g for vox. There is also a search function at the top of the board where you can find a wealth of additional opinions. Good luck.

Brad_C said:
What condensor mic would you suggest to record vocals? I am looking at about 150-250 canadian for the mic. A little more won't matter of course. Thanks alot.
I'd sugest a SP T#3 nine position tube mic 499$

A little to expensive for me my friend. Brands that are more acessible to me include AKG and Audio Technica

Brad_C said:

I know you are looking for suggestions, but microphones are very personal. Each one works differently in different enviorments, and depending on your room acoustics, talent, engineering skills and other equipment, you will get very different results than most of the people offering their opinions on the mikes they like best.

I don't think it is a matter of too many bad mikes on the market anymore, but rather does a specific mic work for you. In the end all it seems one can do is either try them, or buy it and make the best of it. If used properly, most microphones today in decent enviorments will give you a pretty good recording as long as the other requirements fall into place. Some more bright, others more dull, but it is all good, as long as you get the results you need.....Seek and you shall find, experiment and you will learn.

I also have an AT3035 and I have not liked it too much on vocals. I have used it a few times on screaming or yelling vocals. I think that you will find that the most common starter condensor around here is the Studio projects B1 (about $100) or the C1 which is just under $200. These are both great mics to have if you are only relying on one mic.

Se mics

Se mics appear to have reconstituted their entire line. They own their own factory in China rather than contract out the construction. I heard the 2200 last night on a vocal and it sounded worthy. They've got upgraded looks and a 7 trial period. Might want to check them out.

Bob

Consider AKG C2000B. It's in your price range, works pretty well for a lot of vocalists, and is useful on instruments and percussion. I am not a fan of C3000B, and I think it is because of C3000B that it's smaller,cheaper, better cousin is often overlooked.-Richie

whatever cheaper condenser mic you choose - you may want to try adding a dbx 263A or 263x for about 50 bucks.

this will make the mic far more useful on a far wider variety of sources.

later-
Mike

Back