Condensor for more...

jameslucas

I just bought a $90 Sampson C01 Condesnor and shit, did it help the shit outta my recordings. I figure my new monitors probably helped too but shit, it sounds so much better. This being said, would it be worth it for me to return this $90 mic (I can in fact, I know it's rare) and buy one for say $200 or will there be not much of a jump. This is a MAJOR improvement but if someone could recommed, if they should feel necessary, another mic that would be more than $100 and around 150-250, would it help this much more or is a low end a low end in this market.

is it transparent enough?

Does it convey the power, emotion and energy of the original delivery?

If you answered yes, then dont waste your money. You have already achieved the ALSQ. NOw you can focus on the music.

jameslucas said:
This is a MAJOR improvement
If you were using some cheap dynamic mic before, and went to the CO1, the improvement in going from the CO1 to the most expensive mic in the world will not seem as significant.

I would compare it to going from a bicycle to a Honda Civic, then from a Civic to a Porche.

As CJ said, if you're satisfied with it, now you can concentrate on the music. You will get more improvement in your recordings by investing time and energy in doing and learning, rather than in upgrading from one cheap mic to another.

Save your money, and by the time your abilities outgrow your gear you will know what you need and be able to afford it.

Re: Re: Condensor for more...

crazydoc said:
If you were using some cheap dynamic mic before, and went to the CO1, the improvement in going from the CO1 to the most expensive mic in the world will not seem as significant.

I would compare it to going from a bicycle to a Honda Civic, then from a Civic to a Porche.

As CJ said, if you're satisfied with it, now you can concentrate on the music. You will get more improvement in your recordings by investing time and energy in doing and learning, rather than in upgrading from one cheap mic to another.

Save your money, and by the time your abilities outgrow your gear you will know what you need and be able to afford it.

sigh... that was well said.

I say get a pair of MC012s when they go on sale for $50-75 at guitar center. That will allow you to mess around with stereo recording and give you a better sound on acoustic, drum overheads, and hand percussion.

crazydoc said:

Texroadkill, ROFL. That was funny. No. it is not the engineering manifestation of the wildcard.

the ALSQ is the Acceptable Level of Sound Quality This is where the sound is invisible and the musician can focus on writing better music, or wildcards :D

i want it too...but if you'd told me i could do it with a samson ldc it would have saved me so much time :(

does anyone know where i can get these oktavas in britain? i can't get them or the cheapass marshall mics anywhere and i want some cheap mics to throw at passing pensioners...i mean record with, of course.

noisedude said:
i want it too...but if you'd told me i could do it with a samson ldc it would have saved me so much time :(

does anyone know where i can get these oktavas in britain? i can't get them or the cheapass marshall mics anywhere and i want some cheap mics to throw at passing pensioners...i mean record with, of course.

Try Digital Village for the Oktavas and Turnkey for the Marshalls.

Be warned though, the Oktavas aren't quite so cheap over here.

And neither are the MXLs :eek:

You might also want to look at the ADK, Red5 ( http://www.red5audio.com ) and Studio Projects lines as well :)

DJL said:

nice one :) although once again i am coming from a musical background with a scientific lean in my academia. i'm not dumb mate just skint. in time if i feel my hobby needs expensive mics you have my assurance that you will be one of those i will ask opinions of.

it was funny tho.

thanks mark, i must have spelt oktava wrong on digital village cos i checked there before, thanks for the marshalls link. as harvey says in the FAQ, a marshall may be worth buying simply for the ability to impress house/bandmates!!

um, i didn't really say that. no-one best shoot me!

Back