Condensers For Orchestra

hasbeen

An friend of mine needs to record orchestral arrangements on a part time basis for personal use. He asked my advise on condensers. My first recommendation was Josephson C42MP, which I use and love, but the price tag was way too high. My next choice was Shure SM81's, still too much for his pocket.

Any advice on a GOOD budget condenser pair? Thanks!

I have had pretty good luck using Rode NT-5s as an X-Y arrangement for this purpose, but have never done an orchestra with them. $399/pair at zzounds, a better price may be out there.

I definitly agree on using a pair of condensers in an XY or ORTF arrangement on a high stand a few feet behind the conductor pointed at the back row. I have used a pair of MXL 2003s this way on both instrumental and choral groups with good results.

Speaking in broad terms you want a standard cardoid pattern, a broad and flat frequency response, and crisp detail.

KM84s (or newer KM184s).

Three mic pattern with the first mic in front of the stereo pair >

What is his price range? That might help.

I really like to use the MXL 603 on orchestras when i dont have a few Neumann KM184s. They really are great for this i think.

They can be a little bright but so are the KM184s.

Believe it or not ive heard the Nady TCM1050 is amazing on strings. I believe thats the model of the one ive heard about. Dont know if its worth the risk in trying.

Danny

hasbeen said:
Jumpin Catfish!!

I want good BUDGET...thank you though.....

Audio Technica makes some affordable small condensors ($300 +) in their ATM 33a mic. Nice flat response. I've also used the same series mic with the omni pattern.

Massive Mastering had great results recording an orchestra with a pair of Oktava MC-012's. He posted an mp3 somewhere in this forum...try searching for it. I don't remember if it was a spaced pair or X/Y....
I have also had great results recording by former high school bands and chiors with the Oktava MC-012's. Check eBay or see if Guitar Center has some more left.

i've recorded an orchestra a 2 years ago with only 2 mxl 603s (first time i ever did something like that.... since then i've been an intern for one of hollands best location recording studio's) and listening back to it now i can say that they sound pretty damn good for that application. really nice strings and nice low end.

greetz

thomas

Back