Condenser over Dynamic?

FullSailer

Hey hows it going. Just a quick question that could possibly have many different answers. I am micing a guitar cabinet with 2 12s. I have a akg d770 that I have heard sounds excellent for micing a guitar amp. I also have a audiotechnica 4040 condenser. Are condensers tipically used for micing a guitar amp. Which mic should I use for the best sound. I would think that the condenser would sound better just because of the frequency responce of it....or would it be a good idea to mic one speaker with the AKG and the other with the condenser? Or would that cause phase problems? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanx

Eric

Most often you'll find dynamics in front of a guitar amp, but you'll also find condensors, ribbons, PZM's and you name it being used.

There is only one "answer" to your question, and you're going to hate it:

I dunno, why don't you try it out and see how it sounds?

Slackmaster 2000

Hey Full Sailer, are you a real full sailer or is that just your handle? :D

Slack pretty much nailed it. There really aren't any universal laws regarding what "sounds better" in front of a guitar amp. Although your logic regarding a condenser's frequency response seems valid, keep in mind that a guitar amp is pretty limited in the frequencies it's pumping out, so any extended freq. response isn't needed (would go to waste).

A lot of people seem to like the sound of the Audio Technica's on guitar amps, including myself, so don't rule it out. Everyone has their favorite. Every amp is different, as are people's taste, so to regurgitate what slack said, just try 'em all out until you think you've found the right fit.

Slackmaster , yes I am really a FullSailer. I graduate in 5 months...but as you can probably tell, I havent been through the class that discusses micing techniques and stuff.

I agree with Darrin, but what kind of music is it and what kind of sound are you looking for is the bigger question.

The 4040 ( I am not familiar with yet) about 3 to 5' out should capture the ambience, and the dynamic will pock up the meat of the amp. Depending on if you're looking for balls to the wall or
clean gtr would dictate how you set it up, how the amp and your room sounds would be a big factor for both types of sound.

Try it like Darrin mentioned, if you don't like the sound, try moving
the mics around and try again. Once you find something you like, note it. Then try moving your amp to another location but keep the mic distance the same as what you noted, record and see what happens, then play around some more, take note.

Hey now you know at least 2 ways to get a sound you like.
When you note the placement, also note how it sounds - I know it will be hard to write what it sounds like- just come up withwords you like to describe them.

Its all about experimenting;-)

Good luck

FullSailer said:
yes I am really a FullSailer. I graduate in 5 months...but as you can probably tell, I havent been through the class that discusses micing techniques and stuff.

You better quit drinking and chasing tail so much and pay more attention in class! ! ! :D :D Slacker!

Try sticking the D770 right up to the grill, 1-3" off axis on one of those speakers. Then back off the condenser to get a better picture of the cab. If it's an open backed cab, try it behind the cab as well, and reverse the phase if necessary. Then listen to the tracks separately, and mix to taste. As the good ol' boys stated above, there's no rule. What I've suggested here is "conventional wisdom". Hint- placement of the cone mic is critical, and small movements toward the center, or away from it, will make a big difference in the sound.-Richie

Back