Condenser or Dynamic microphone?

TheJohnnyTrask

I just bought a Samson C01U and I didn't realize how sensitive condenser microphones actually seem to be. It's picking up my mechanical keyboard, which is quite loud, and a ton of other sounds as well. So this begs the question, should I get a dynamic microphone? My purpose is to record tutorials and commentaries for Youtube, so my keyboard will be clattering around quite a lot. Would a dynamic microphone be better suited for this or is there some way I can make my current condenser microphone work for what I am doing? What I really want is a microphone that can isolate my voice and not pick up everything else.

Thanks,
- John Trask

I can from the Windows control panel, should I try that and move it closer to my face? I have a stand with a boom arm and a pop filter.

Isolating your voice isn't a function of condenser or dynamic, it's to do with polar pattern and distance to wanted/v distance to unwanted sound.

Sure, condensers are more sensitive, but this was why somebody asked about gain - to get the same level on the recording means a different gain setting. If you are just going into your computer's audio in, then you're working at the low end of the quality spectrum, and the benefits of a condenser in terms of frequency response and clarity may not be noticed. If you reduce the distance to your mouth, then the recording will feature more of you and less of the distractions - the reflections from the walls and the clacking of keys. Move it away and the background gets louder. Use the cardioid pattern (assuming it's a cardioid mic) to reject sounds from the rear, by careful aiming of the rear towards the noises. If you buy a dynamic the ratio of unwanted to wanted sounds remains the same, they're just sonically a little compromised at the top and bottom, but that too may work for you. Don't forget if you go in closer, then you will need to turn the gain down, however you do this on your setup.

Back