Condenser Mics for the New Recording Artist

Not my clips, but there are several:

Here

and

Here

Awesome thanks, I'll listen to 'em when I get home (I'm in the college library now ..shhh).
While I'm posting I might as well spill the beans on my room, I admit I've been intimidated by the response that might be awaiting me. My room has vaulted ceilings and other than that is rather square in shape, the walls are typical drywall/paint/texture and the room is roughly a square, more towards a rectangle. all of the rooms in the house have vaulted ceilings. When I'm not recording they actually seem to produce a very full sound, however I don't know how that would sound through a mic.

Will getting an omni directional/side address change the reception of reflecting sounds?

I've actually considered trying to record from within my car to dampen the sound...

IMO (like it really matters) the AT4041 Studio Pack is a great starter set. They aren't superior mic's obviously, but they are a good bang for the buck. Without room treatment and decent preamps etc, better mic's will probably just work against you because you will probably be picking up more noise than you want to. The AT2020 should yield decent results. And proximity affect isn't really an issue.

IMO (like it really matters) the AT4041 Studio Pack is a great starter set. They aren't superior mic's obviously, but they are a good bang for the buck. Without room treatment and decent preamps etc, better mic's will probably just work against you because you will probably be picking up more noise than you want to. The AT2020 should yield decent results. And proximity affect isn't really an issue.
Did you mean AT2021 studio pack? Anyhow I don't mind sensitivity, I'd rather start with a higher grade model (I can get a 4040 or 4050 new on eBay for around the same price as a 2020 studio pack). And now I'm seeing the rode's and reading good things but failing to find any sound clips, or places that sell the NT-2 =/.

I like having pairs of mics so I bought two of the 2041 packs. I wanted the 2021's more than the 2020's but having extra mics laying around isn't a bad thing. Personally I would look at something like a CAD M179, Carvin CTM100, or Apex 460 (Same as the Carvin). These are all multi-pattern mics that will give you a lot more than the cheap AT line. The Carvin and Apex are very easily modded into way better sounding mics. I own a modded CTM100 and it's very good for a lot of things. The CAD M179 performs like a mic that would cost twice as much. Again, the AT2041 pack isn't bad but I don't recommend them as your main mics.

Last edited:
Ive said it before and I will say it again, this is obviously my opinion and others have their own, but with my experience with these compared to higher end mics, these are comparable. i have them and love them, clean recordings for sure, and know others who have them and like them as well. any ways, here is the link:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...41SP-AT2020-AT2021-Microphone-Pack?sku=270455

The 2041 pack is probably a decent deal if you mostly need small diaphragm condensers. It's basically an unmatched pair of the same microphone capsule/circuit in two different shells as I understand it, both of which are a small to medium diameter (16mm) capsule. It wouldn't be my pick for vocals, though.

It appears people have lost interest in this topic and so I post one final question: If I were to buy one microphone up to around $300, which microphone would that be, excluding packages, etc; Just One mice, which one?

Depends on what you're recording. Voice? My pick would be either a CAD M9 or a phantom-powered ribbon. I've noticed that the Karma K6 is on discount right now for $199. If you don't have fairly clean pres, that's probably a much better choice than any of the non-phantom ribbons.

After many sound tests and listening to you guys and just personal preference overall, it's looking like I'm gonna go for the AT4040, ought to be able to get one for around $200ish on eBay. I'll probably be getting it in the next month or so. Thanks so much for all of your guys' help on making my decision! (Although feel free to post more advice if there's something someone's left out, you've got a month 'till I buy; GO! :p

Back