condenser microphones

ollie99

Hey,
I am looking to buy a pair of condenser microphones which will be used as overheads for drums, piano and perhaps other instruments such as violins.
The maximum I can spend is about £200 and I have found a couple such as the samson cl2's and the mxl 603's which fit my budget.
How would those mics be do you think? are they suitable for what I want?
Thanks for any advice :)

Hey,
I am looking to buy a pair of condenser microphones which will be used as overheads for drums, piano and perhaps other instruments such as violins.
The maximum I can spend is about £200 and I have found a couple such as the samson cl2's and the mxl 603's which fit my budget.
How would those mics be do you think? are they suitable for what I want?
Thanks for any advice :)
Sontronics STC-1S Stereo Matched Pair (Black)

You will need a stereo bar anyway. I have the STC-2 big side address jobbie and like it a lot.

The AKG Perception 170 is also very good value. I have two of the earlier but near identical 150s.

Dave
If you can squeeze another nifty.....

Sontronics STC-1S Stereo Matched Pair (Black)

You will need a stereo bar anyway. I have the STC-2 big side address jobbie and like it a lot.

The AKG Perception 170 is also very good value. I have two of the earlier but near identical 150s.

Dave
If you can squeeze another nifty.....

hm what is the difference between the stc-1s and stc-1? because the latter is one microphone but only £100

The akg perception 170 are only £100 altogether! how good are they for the money?

after reading reviews it does seem that the akg perception 170's are amazing value for money, but the question is by how much? This £100 pair of them seem the cheapest and a god pack with a mic stand but are a pair worth £200 a better idea still?

after reading reviews it does seem that the akg perception 170's are amazing value for money, but the question is by how much? This £100 pair of them seem the cheapest and a god pack with a mic stand but are a pair worth £200 a better idea still?

Well I have little to compare mine with except the ST-C2 but I find them remarkably good.
You have to think that AKG are one of the top mic makers in the world and tho' the mics are made in China they are hardly likely to put their name to any old shite!

Err? And SURELY good enough for DRUMS!??
Dave.

Well I have little to compare mine with except the ST-C2 but I find them remarkably good.
You have to think that AKG are one of the top mic makers in the world and tho' the mics are made in China they are hardly likely to put their name to any old shite!

Err? And SURELY good enough for DRUMS!??
Dave.

You know what I think I might go for them. I've watched some videos on youtube and they seem good. I'm sorting out a better sounding room so with better mics as well the sound quality of the drums will be a lot better whatever mics I decide to buy.
AND I seem to have gotten a brilliant deal for 2 of them which saves £50 if I buy them separately plus a microphone stand is included which is useful considering as both my stands at the moment are starting to break.

You know what I think I might go for them. I've watched some videos on youtube and they seem good. I'm sorting out a better sounding room so with better mics as well the sound quality of the drums will be a lot better whatever mics I decide to buy.
AND I seem to have gotten a brilliant deal for 2 of them which saves £50 if I buy them separately plus a microphone stand is included which is useful considering as both my stands at the moment are starting to break.

Pretty good move IMHO.
I think most of the sub $200 Chinese capacitors are much the same. If you need exceptionally low noise performance there are better models from Rode e.g. but hardly need for home bod' use.. The 170 can cope with sound levels of 135/155dB depending on the attenuator setting, nothing that loud outside NASA.

You'll be right, I'm sure.

Dave.

hm what is the difference between the stc-1s and stc-1? because the latter is one microphone but only £100

The S denotes a matched stereo pair - buy two individual units and they are likely not to be matched closely enough to use for stereo.

You can also add omni or hyper-cardioid heads at a later date if you wish.

More info. HERE.

The Sontronics are designed in the UK and the designer has taken special care to give the microphones a smooth top end.

The S denotes a matched stereo pair - buy two individual units and they are likely not to be matched closely enough to use for stereo.

You can also add omni or hyper-cardioid heads at a later date if you wish.

More info. HERE.

The Sontronics are designed in the UK and the designer has taken special care to give the microphones a smooth top end.

I totally agree John about the superiority of the Sontronics (love my biggy!) but they are 50quid over the OP's budget.

Of course, matched pairs are best for stereo (X-Y?) but my two 150's are within 1.5dB* of each other for sensitivity and give very good results in stereo on small setups like acoustic guitar....We do what we is able!

*I have meant to check them wired out of phase, but who has the time???!
Dave.

I totally agree John about the superiority of the Sontronics (love my biggy!) but they are 50quid over the OP's budget.

Of course, matched pairs are best for stereo (X-Y?) but my two 150's are within 1.5dB* of each other for sensitivity and give very good results in stereo on small setups like acoustic guitar....We do what we is able!

*I have meant to check them wired out of phase, but who has the time???!
Dave.

Yeahh, not only £50 over my budget but £150 more than the 170's

Just the throw something else into the pile, I'd absolutely consider the sE1A mic. I use them a lot for overheads, have also done piano (grand and upright) with them with very pleasing results and have also done a range of other instruments including acoustic guitar. The stereo pair is spot on your budget and, as you're in the UK, I suggest you avail yourself of the one week free trial they offer.

Or, for dirt cheap, a mate of mine in the UK has recently started selling microphones HERE. As I say, the guy who runs this company is a mate (we're both mods on another site) and I haven't personally used any of these mics (being 10,000 km away). However, I've heard good things about the FX510 for overheads from several people whose judgement I trust. If you call them, ask for Paul and tell him Bobbsy sent you.

Back