Condenser Microphone

happinesstudios

Hi everyone. I currently have a Shure sm57 but its not exactly the right fit for me. Whats a decent condenser that is around the same price as the 57 assuming I sell it used and buy one used? Thanks for any help.

Hmmm...that's tricky. Not much room to work with there. At that price, I guess I'd go for the MXL v67g or the Audio Technica 2020.

Hi everyone. I currently have a Shure sm57 but its not exactly the right fit for me. Whats a decent condenser that is around the same price as the 57 assuming I sell it used and buy one used? Thanks for any help.

If this is the budget you're working with, you may want to settle for the SM57.

What kind of interface and preamps are you using? Everything in the recording chain effects the sound.

You can't expect to hear anything near what you're used to from your record collection with a $100 budget.

(Unless you're into GG Allin.)

Last edited:
Craiglist is your friend. Keep an eye out for affordable condensers.
I've gotten great deals from local sellers.

Hi, thanks for all the responses. I am using the original Mbox with pro tools 8 le. The reason i want to get rid of the 57 is because i have never had success with recording acoustic or vocals. it is ALWAYS too low and ive posted on here for help but got nothing. I get 10x the quality with my USB Samson CO3U and mixcraft so I am using that for everything other than electric guitar recording. I will check out all the suggestions, thanks everyone!:)

If this is the budget you're working with, you may want to settle for the SM57.

What kind of interface and preamps are you using? Everything in the recording chain effects the sound.

You can't expect to hear anything near what you're used to from your record collection with a $100 budget.

(Unless you're into GG Allin.)

Some of the weirdest times with in my life ..... playing in that band!!

No towards the very end of the Jabbers into the very beginning of the Sumfucs

:eek:

I like some of GG's stuff, though I have to be in a certain mood for it.

But, like, socially; how on earth do you want to get yourself involved with a guy like that? :drunk:

Are you anywhere in that Hated documentairy Henry?

Believe me. I was a last minute stand in, friend of a friend type thing. After a few gigs I knew that chaos wasn't for me.
No rehearsals at all just the key and chord changes yelled to me before each song.
The names of the band changed almost weekly after awhile because he couldn't play anywhere after being fire from just about every venue in New England.
I was never contacted for the documentary there may be a few pictures kicking about here and there though.
He would start every show by hitting himself repeatedly on the forehead with the microphone till he was bleeding then moved into the audience with the shock value.
Was more or less a circus side show antic that would always get way out of control.

Believe me. I was a last minute stand in, friend of a friend type thing. After a few gigs I knew that chaos wasn't for me.
No rehearsals at all just the key and chord changes yelled to me before each song.
The names of the band changed almost weekly after awhile because he couldn't play anywhere after being fire from just about every venue in New England.
I was never contacted for the documentary there may be a few pictures kicking about here and there though.
He would start every show by hitting himself repeatedly on the forehead with the microphone till he was bleeding then moved into the audience with the shock value.
Was more or less a circus side show antic that would always get way out of control.

Indeed, he's not exactly someone to admire. :facepalm: He is some sort of a (lesser) icon though.

I always tend to feel sorry for him, but I imagine that sensation changes to anoyance fairly quickly if you'd get to know him personally.

It surprises me that he ever actually played with bands that knew in what key they were playing. :D

More questions need answers

Take your time and save up for something better than a $100-$200 mic.

Not understanding what's up with your SM57.
You say "it's" to low.
I assume you mean the gain/volume level?

See Photo below.
Are you using an XLR to XLR cable plugged into the back of the unit or using and XLR to 1/4 inch cable plugged into the front or back?
The Mbox has a gain control on each channel and a Master Gain.
How are you using those in combination?

http://www.avid.com/static/resources/common/images/products/Mbox_Specs_800.jpg

Take your time and save up for something better than a $100-$200 mic.

Not understanding what's up with your SM57.
You say "it's" to low.
I assume you mean the gain/volume level?

See Photo below.
Are you using an XLR to XLR cable plugged into the back of the unit or using and XLR to 1/4 inch cable plugged into the front or back?
The Mbox has a gain control on each channel and a Master Gain.
How are you using those in combination?

http://www.avid.com/static/resources/common/images/products/Mbox_Specs_800.jpg

Hi, thanks for your response. My Mbox doesnt look like that one though, I think mine is the original. It looks like this... http://76.my/UserImages/Items/1101/23/simonsmart@1.jpg . Hopefully the link works.

Anyways though I dont really know whats up with the sm57. I actually have another thread about it here.. https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/newbies/audio-too-soft-337762/

My computer is a Windows 7 64 bit so I think that that may be the problem because the Mbox is listed as 'Unspecified' in my devices. Theres some more information in that thread though.

Almost forgot to answer your question, Im using an XLR to XLR.

Thanks, really appreciate it!

Anyways though I dont really know whats up with the sm57. I actually have another thread about it here.. https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/newbies/audio-too-soft-337762/

There's probably nothing wrong. The SM57 is a dynamic mic, so it has a fairly low output. You need lots of clean preamp gain to do it justice. It basically has about the same output level as modern passive ribbon mics....

Try to hunt for something like a CAD M179. It'll cost you more than your SM57 will sell for used, but it should be a big step up from both the SM57 and the Samson.

I use the Shure SM86 and SM87a on the stage and am relatively happy with both. (if you're looking for a mic for vocals).

Back