Condenser Microphone for Vocals around $350 - 500?

DarrenVocal

Hello there people of HR, I am trying to think of a microphone that will replace my sold AT2020 which will be suited for mainly vocals, and sometimes instruments ( But I'll probably use my Shure SM58 for instruments ). Any suggestions? Some of the things I've taken to consideration are the Rode NT2A and AT4040.

Call me crazy, but I've gotten a lot of mileage out of a Blue Baby Bottle. However, if you can find a used AT4050 you would be very happy. Plus it's multi-pattern. Very useful mic. Not sure what the used market is for an AKG-414. Very very useful mic as well. I think the Blue Reactor sells new for around 500. Also multi-pattern. A similar capsule to the Kiwi which I use very often and is a fabulous mic.
Good luck
E

Call me crazy, but I've gotten a lot of mileage out of a Blue Baby Bottle. However, if you can find a used AT4050 you would be very happy. Plus it's multi-pattern. Very useful mic. Not sure what the used market is for an AKG-414. Very very useful mic as well. I think the Blue Reactor sells new for around 500. Also multi-pattern. A similar capsule to the Kiwi which I use very often and is a fabulous mic.
Good luck
E

Sounds interesting! I will definitely check out the Blue Baby Bottle! It says it can even record stringed instruments!

Put the sE2200A II on your shortlist. In it's cardioid only form it should be a bit less than your stated budget; the multi pattern version is smack in the middle of your numbers.

Excellent mic for the money--it punches way above its weight. I started with 1 of them (the older version and now have 3 with a 4th in the plans.

Put the sE2200A II on your shortlist. In it's cardioid only form it should be a bit less than your stated budget; the multi pattern version is smack in the middle of your numbers.

Excellent mic for the money--it punches way above its weight. I started with 1 of them (the older version and now have 3 with a 4th in the plans.

It looks like a great microphone. May I have a sample from you or some sources? :D

The Sterling Audio (formely Groove Tube) 55 is awesome for way cheaper than what you think you have to spend for great results !!!

ADK Hamburg/Vienna. Audio Technica 4047 used. Shure KSM32. If you save your money you can open a whole new world @ around $900 for a mic that will last you your career. Use the 58 in meantime. It won't hurt your sound a bit.

ADK Hamburg/Vienna.

I've had my eye on these for a while, mainly the Hamburg. How do you find them? Anything the particularly excel at?

Big fat +1 for the sE2200a. Like Bobbsy i started with one and now have two and a bunch of other sE mics just from my experience with the sE2200a.

I'm also a big fan of the Avantone stuff. The CK6 and CK7 should both be within your budget (then again, i work in £'s and have no idea what the £ to $ conversion is.)

Also, if you've looked at the Rode NT2a i'd also have a look at the NT1000 or a used NTK

Personally I'm a fan of ribbons for voice. They take EQ very well, so you can tailor the sound for each particular voice, and it won't get harsh or brittle. They're also great for brass, guitar cabs... pretty much everything but kick drum. :)

For my voice, I also have a fondness for the CAD M9; I found the Hamburg too bright. YMMV. The ADK Generis tube mic also produces an interesting sound quality, but it isn't my go-to mic for voice by any stretch of the imagination.

You can buy a decent long ribbon and either an AT4040 or a CAD M9 and you'll still be within your budget. I think either one is likely to be a good choice.

The Sterling Audio (formely Groove Tube) 55 is awesome for way cheaper than what you think you have to spend for great results !!!

I have a SA55 and it seems like I am getting a harsh sound out of it. If you can clue me in on how you were using it. I was thinking of replacing it and just use it for acoustic but now????

I have two NT2a's, I used to use them as vocal mics, now they're just drum overheads although they're my stereo utility mics. They worked well, a bit crispy but not harsh. Harder to fit into a mix than my AT4047. Which I got used for under $400 on ebay.

I have two NT2a's, I used to use them as vocal mics, now they're just drum overheads although they're my stereo utility mics. They worked well, a bit crispy but not harsh. Harder to fit into a mix than my AT4047. Which I got used for under $400 on ebay.

Ah I see, so its a smooth response?

More or less. They're great utility mics, I use them mostly for drum overheads, and they work really well. Good highs, mids, and lows.

Back