Condenser mic too loud

Heifsin85

Hey fellas. Pretty new (fine newb if you must) at recording. For about a year Ive been creating music etc on cubase using plugins (spectrasonics, native instruments, guitar to soundcard, etc), though never really used a mic.
I have a delta 1010lt, a mxl990 (pretty mediocore stuff I know). I bought phantom power supply for the mxl990 since its a condenser mic. Although, when trying to record in cubase, the signal is just to huge. Loud feedback, etc. When trying to turn the channel down on cubase, the quality is rubbish since your cutting how loud the audio will play, while the input signal is the same. Is there some way to turn it down maybe in the m-audio control panel or whatnot? Any help would be great :].

Are you using the XLR inputs on the 1010LT?

If so, then I'd recommend just getting an actual mic pre. Go from the line out of the mic pre to one of the RCA ins on the sound card and you'll be good to go.

Ill definently look into a mic preamp, but is there anyway to rough it for now, and use what I have. Or is the only real solution for the problem getting a mic pre?

Heifsin85 said:
Loud feedback, etc.

what do you mean by feedback? do you mean like the loud whistle noise you get at live gigs? if that's the case, you'll need to mute your monitor outputs so that there's no sound coming thru the monitors..

Back