Condenser mic through XLR-TRS cable on Steinberg MR816CSX

FllaviX

Hello all!

I am having trouble figuring out why I cannot use a condenser mic (Rode NT5) on a Steinberg MR816CSX audio interface via an XLR - TRS cable.
I should probably mention that I activated the phantom power +48v on the corresponding channel. Also I had no problem using the condenser mic via an XLR-XLR cable as well as a dynamic mic via the same XLR - TRS cable in question (through the same combo jack).
So I would apreciate it if someone would provide an explanation to this one.
P.S. I checked the cable with a Behringer CT100 cable tester and when I engage phantom power it only indicates receiving it for a very short time (-1s) after which the corresponding LED turns off. With an XLR-XLR cable the LEDs stay on. So is that a rule maybe that TRS connectors do not support phantom power?? :confused:

Hey FllaviX welcome to the ZOO!
Yeah Phantom power is only supported via XLR to XLR no if ands or buts about it.:D

:cool:

Thank you moresound! :)
I actually did as much research as I could before posting but I was left with the impression that there are different opinions about this.
Might somebody have a techincal explanation?

Here is my technical opinion, (only my opinion based on no facts or research)

I would not want the option of phantom power on a TRS connection because there doesn't seem to be a standard as to how a TRS is wired. You could plug a stereo 1/4 plug which is the same as a TRS balanced line into the jack and sent a nasty voltage and current to an unsuspecting piect of gear. Or you could plug in a mono 1/4" TS to the same jack and also electicize something that aint expecting to be electrocized!

Thank you moresound! :)
I actually did as much research as I could before posting but I was left with the impression that there are different opinions about this.
Might somebody have a techincal explanation?

I've never heard, seen or read any other opinion on phantom power; it has always been XLR-only.

The reason is a TRS jack cannot prevent someone from using a TS plug. Phantom power supplies 48 volts to BOTH signal wires and if you plug in a TS plug you will short one side to ground and that would be a bad thing. With an XLR connector, you have only one style connector you can use and one way to connect it and there is little chance of shorting out 48v to ground.

Chili, I have encountered the opposite opinion on another forum, I'm not sure if I am allowed to link to it here but here is an excerpt:

Yes I know it's indeed possible and it works. But is this a frowned upon method especially if you're taking an XLR mic, coupling it to TRS and feeding it through your patch bay?

While yes I understand that inserting the TRS cable with the phantom power on is a bad idea (which is quite obvious anyway. That's standard studio practice). I also understand that even though the phantom is off, there is the potential that the charge hasn't left the mic yet and if you insert if, could run along the same problem. However, the article didn't mention if you'd have coupled the input and disconnected and reconneted the mic at the XLR section. That sounds like it'd be safer considering now you're inserting everything at the same time with no potential contact with the ground connector. Am I right or should I look for another method ?

answer:
Phantom power goes through patchbays/TT cables all the time.

You know all the precautions. So follow em and rock out.

Make life easy for yourself. Just get an XLR to XLR connector and be done with it. You won't then have to sift through pages of ambiguous advice.

For the record, my thinking is the same as Chili's: you won't get phantom power supplied through an audio interface TRS input because you cannot prevent someone sticking in a TS plug and shorting it out.

They could have supplied phantom through the TRS, but they chose not to. Often, combo jacks are wired such that the TRS in feeds a different input circuit. Could be a line in, could be an instrument in (try reading your manual, see if they mention it). These would not have or want phantom on them.

That said, you aren't going to damage a phantom supply by shorting one of its leads because they have current limiting resistors. Also, gear that is designed to be connected to phantom power (microphones) should not be damaged by patching through a TRS patchbay. I do this every day.

The exception is ribbon mics, ribbons mics + phantom on TRS patchbays do not mix, so don't do that. Also, things that were not designed with the potential for phantom power on their outputs (line outputs, for example) may or may not have been designed to tolerate phantom. So tread carefully there . . .

also, even with a TRS plug, as you push it in and pull it out, the tip and ring would come in temporary contact with the elements which are intended for the sleeve and ring - this may be the situation where ribbon mics deterministically blow up with phantom power.

Back