Condenser mic and studio noise

synergy

I am considering buying a condenser mic, but I know how well they pick up background noise and the like. Being that my "studio" is just my bedroom in a house where there are other people, a computer with fan noise, etc, am I going to be able to use a LD condenser?

They definately pick up every little noise. Even a plugged in refrigerator a few rooms away can sound like an airplane shaking the house once you start to notice it.

Your best may be to record in the closet or a make shift isolation booth.

I record in a room that is far from quiet. Computer fan noise, traffic outside (far away though, 400' or so), and although it's annoying, I wouldn't let that discourage you from buying an LD mic. If your recording on a computer, you can edit out a good chunk of the noise, during parts that nothing is happening. Sure the noise still exists when the vocal, acoustic guitar, whatever kicks in, but it's not the end of the world. At least not for my purposes, maybe yours to. If your doing drums they will drown out any computer fan noise, sure the noise is still there, but. Some of your recorded instruments may be direct, you didn't say. I was listening to some Zep last night, the tape hiss is more noticable on those recordings than the computer fan noise in my far from quiet recording room.

So, give it a whirl. I wouldn't let that be the number one factor in a mic choice. Style of music and the song itself would be a good consideration as far as acceptable background noise.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll go ahead with the purchase. I am recording to a computer, so I can edit out the space in between. Also, I'm going to try some sort of makeshift isolation booth, ala Slackmaster's towel closet.

my "studio" is a spare bedroom and my "vocal booth" is the walkin closet with blankets hung up on the wall.....i have a Marshall MXLv67......

if im not doing anything serious, which is most of the time, i'll just use a sm57 sitting in front the computer......

Back