Condenser for electric guitar

Slaytanic Dude

What is a good/cheap condenser for recording electric guitar?

How about for vocals/acoustic/drum stuff?

How is the AKG C 1000S? I have used AKG mics before and really loved the quality, but I have not been able to use another good mic besides an AKG. I can get the C 1000S for $100 on ebay.

I want to get 2 condensers, one for guitar and the other for vox/acoustic/overhead drums.

Suggestions?

Normally, a C-1000 isn't the best mic in the locker but one of the few jobs it does pretty well is on electric guitar (the other is as a snare mic). I like an AT4033 better in that roll but it's also twice as expensive.

Does it have to be a condenser? There's a few cheap dynamics which might well rock your guitar cab. Some may turn out to be 'your' vocal mic too. Anything by Shure is worth a punt, especially the older stuff (Unidyne thingies). I've only used a couple but apparently Beyer don't make a bad mic. The Sennheiser E835 is a modern one that's good on guitar amp.

I have an SE Electronics SE2200 which is pretty decent on amp, it's quite similar to a couple of other mics (I think the MXL V67 and the JoeMeek JM47) so any of them may do it for you.

If you have a big amp it might be worth getting a condenser with a pad on it, unless you know for a fact that it'll be fine with high SPLs.

HTH. :)

while we're on the topic...

does anyone know how the C1000 compares to the C2000? I know they look completely different and all... but how different are they really? sound-wise?

C1000 has a reputation of being very harsh sounding, especially in the high frequencies. The C2000 I have found to be much more balanced in its sound than the C1000, but there are still better mics for the same or less money. The C2000 also isn't the most versatile mic you'll ever use.

If you don't already have a C-1000, I wouldn't recommend you buy a new one. A good price on used ones is another matter. The few things they do well don't justify their price new. I do use my pair but for the money, there are better mics out there.

Get an AT3035 on the cheap for cabs. Very versatile LDC but excels at cab mic'ing. Not a bad vocal mic either.

War

If you're talking about clean electric, then I think just about any decent Large Diaphragm vocal condenser can be excellent.

Once you start getting in to the heavy, overdriven distortion ... then I think most condensers can sound pretty wretched.

Back