Computerists: Please review the specs of this PC

Reilley

[I have a reasonable price on this Christams preasant, for a first DAW. I just want to determine that it should not have any compatibility or other problems with mainstream hardware or software, ie. Cubase, Sonar, Ableton, Emu, M Audio, midi/vsti plugins, etc.. Please have a look. Thanks very much.]
===

Intel Pentium 4-775, Core2 6300
ASUS mainboard [P5LD2-VM]
1 GB Kingston PC533 DDR2 RAM
Intergrated 7.1 sound & LAN & Intel graphics media accelerator 950 [To be disabled.]
16X PCI-E graphics port
52X LG CD burner
80 GB Seagate 7200 RPM HD
ATX case 400W .
2 front & 4 rear USB ports
WIN XP HOME
-----
I will add a 2nd Seagate HD of 320 GB.

The computer builder advises me that
in order to run 2 monitors, I'll need to
add a video card, maybe $60.

wheelema said:
Kick the p supply up to => 550 and buy a brand name w/good warranty.

Yikes! How necessary is the 550??

Brand name, well, I'm done 55 threads where "buy from a builder" is the agreed wisdom. I've always bought Compaq. but they won't even take extra drives.

I also second upping your power supply. It help your system be more stable, especially in the time of need. Picture your system loose it's power or skip during that "magical" time while your tracking. Also I think you should also get a video card too. You dont' want your onboard video to start taxing your processor & memory do you? That'll slow your system down a tad bit. Nothing drastic, but in this digital recording age, get as much out of your DAW as you can. Overall it sounds like a pretty decent system. Oh, if you ever upgrade again, I suggest more RAM, at faster DDR2, not 533mhz, but 667mhz, not much of a difference, but still faster. I suggest at least 2GB.

Yes, thanks. I will be getting a video card, which is necessary to run dual monitors. For DAW purposes, I understand that it doesn't much matter which card it is, as long as it supports dual display. The builder said the card would be maybe $50, but I don't know which card he was referring to.

Extra RAM would be the first upgrade, but I wasn't even aware of different speeds. Now I am. Thanks.

Back