computer virgin

hotel2tango

easy there boys..
anyway, im looking to start recording on a usb interface and wondered if anyone had any tips on which units are worth trying. i have never used a computer to record (my tascam 388 has finally died) and im on budget. i was looking at the mbox2 and ci2. any of these any good? and what comes with the best software to create tim hecker style music? or am i missing the ponit there? any help would be... err a big help as i really aint to sure with all this fancy computer stuff.
thanx in advance

Sounds to me like you need a simple AI and a midi keyboard. I don't think it will matter too much what DAW you go for, as with this type of music I can see you using numerous plugins to get a wealth of sounds. Reaper seems to be fairly popular here. Other ones for you to consider would be Reason 6, and Fruity Loops. Cubase also seems to be very popular amongst creators of that genre of music.

Plugins would be a big factor in your music creativity, especially vsti's (Virtual instruments). This can all get rather expensive..

But popular ones that I am aware of are.....

Nexus
Albino
Trillian
Massive
Battery
Alchemy

Big can of worms to be opened, but endless fun awaits you :)

Welcome and happy researching :)

How many simultaneous channels do you want to be recording?

Mbox 2 wil let you do two mic inputs out of the box, but i really really don't like them, and they hiss out pretty easily.

If two channels is enough, the presonus firestudio mobile preamps kill the mbox 2 preamps any day of the week.

just 1 at a time tbh. it will just be for me recording alone. just want try some recording on a computer as i have never done it and im ina wide taste of music. i would never dream of letting my blues band anywhere a pc (gtr sounds amazing on tape) but im also really into tim hecker/fennez/demorais etc and get the sounds they make is pretty much impossablie on tape. if there is another sort of all in 1 usb stuido thats better then that m-box could you recommend one? im on a budget but i could spare a few more £ if the thing would sound better.

Back