Computer to TV

squibble94

Nature of Force
Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem. My TV only supports A/V cables. My computer only has 1 VGA spot (which I need for my monitor) and neither have SVideo. Is there any way I can use a USB to A/V to run my monitor and my TV at the same time? I would like to have my mix window on the TV. Thanks!

you can get splitter cables but only if your graphics card will support it, you might be better off getting a replacement graphics card with 2 outputs. dead cheap off e*ay.

I don't think so but I'm known to be wrong at times. :) I only have one monitor out and no extra slots so I use a program called Maxivista that uses any crap computer to drive multiple monitors via ethernet link cable. Wouldn't work for tv unless the slave comp has tv connections. I know there are cards for VGA in and out but not sure if they work in tandem with monitor. I am curious to know myself.

Jimmy

Is your TV HD? What A/V cables. It'll have to be at least component otherwise it will be 480i which will look like crap.

Is your TV HD? What A/V cables. It'll have to be at least component otherwise it will be 480i which will look like crap.

Sadly it is not. :(
It has yellow and white A/V inputs. I don't really care about appearance, I just want the space on my monitor.

Any computer output to an old NTSC screen (which is what it sounds like you are using) is going to look like crap and be limited to an 800 x 600 display. Which means you may have to change your monitor to display 800 x 600 too, and you will lose a lot of display area, thus defeating the whole point of plugging in the TV.

It used to be common to find video cards with S-VHS outputs on them, where you could easy install an adaptor to convert the S-Video to the single RCA video & audio that your TV has. But these are going away as old NTSC analog TVs disappear and are replaced with digital flat-screen TVs with 15 pin video ports.

While I understand what you are trying to do, honestly the best thing would be to just forget about using the TV. The display will suck and its just not worth it. Once you replace the TV with a digital flat screen, then yes by all means.

While I understand what you are trying to do, honestly the best thing would be to just forget about using the TV. The display will suck and its just not worth it. Once you replace the TV with a digital flat screen, then yes by all means.
Listen to him: he is right.

What you'd see on an old TV screen would be useless.

I had a video card with TV outputs and hooked it up to a TV. It was useless, most of the text was unreadable and everything was super huge, so you couldn't fit much on the screen. It was a complete waste of time.

Back