computer speakers

Hector Burns

Hello. I'm really new to the computer recording game. I have a laptop and I use Roland's UA-30 to pump in the sound. I need to pick up some speakers as obviously the laptop ones are crap. What's better for recording/mixing, a two speaker system, or a 4 point surround system? Really, all I'm doing is mixing my old 4-track onto the hard drive. I'm going to be running the speakers out of my headphone jack on the laptop as my UA-30 has been having playback problems (I've heard it's a problem with ALi chipsets). Any words of wisdom for me? I'd like to stay below $150. Cheers.

Stay below $150? You got it. Look at any set of Cambridge (Creative Labs distributes them now) speakers. PC Works, Sound Works...there's a few other. AMAZING speakers for a low price. Trust me, I work at CompUSA (and now I'm not a moron, I've been working on computers for at least 5 years...trust me here...) and whenever people are looking for a good set of speakers, I turn on the $40 pair of PC Works (that are about the size of a large Rubics cube) after playing some other $100+ sets and they are always amazed. There's really no need to go for a 4 point system since you're only dealing with stereo left and right. Check em out, and trust me you'll love them.

Back