Computer speakers?

Adam B

Anyone out there using computer speakers as monitors?

I'm looking to buy some new speakers and wondering if anyone here has any recomendations?

I am an audiophile, so I'm looking for something with sound quality.

I have no preferance if they are 2.1's or 5.1's or whatever, however the speakers should be powerful enough to produce a room full of balanced sound in at least one large room (25x15), but preferably loud enough to play music while I have company or am cleaning or whatever.

Any recomendations?

I'm looking for something I can use as an all around general speaker as well as for monitoring tracks.

I am open to using whatever kind of device lends itself to those purposes, but the main reason (no pun intended) I was thinking computer speakers is because I don't know jack about monitors and I am a computer guy by trade, so I naturally went with what I knew.

Additionall reasons:

1.) Most nice computer speakers come with an external volume module and a subwoofer.

2.) A killer set of computer speakers are only about 200 bucks.

3.) Computer speakers are amplified and require no extra equipment.

4.) I don't know if monitors are safe for jamming at house rocking volumes during poker games. :)

Adam B said:
Anyone out there using computer speakers as monitors?
I am an audiophile, so I'm looking for something with sound quality.

A killer set of computer speakers are only about 200 bucks.
I'll be damned, I've never seen an "audiophile" say something costing only $200 was killer...unless he's talking about 1 foot of speaker cable or something :D

But anyway, good monitors will easily reach house rockin' levels. Don't worry about that.

Excuse me... I am a "Frugal Audiophile". :)

Anyway... in case you all forgot, I am looking for RECOMENDATIONS... not FLAMES about my cheapness.

Which monitors would you recomend under $300?

elevate said:
I've read some good things about these. Over $300, but not by much.

I'm a computer guy too, and I would never consider using computer speakers for mixing/monitoring.

I have a set of Klipsh's for computer gaming/rocking the house out. I think they may be as close to "audiophile" that you will get from computer speakers.

A lot of people in this forum like the Wharfdales: ping Deepwater here, he'll get you a pair for less that $300 - maybe a little more wirh shipping.

Hey Adam B...my two cents...I don't have "real" monitors and I can't justify getting them at this time...I comprehend their importance and would like to get official mixing-monitors in the future...I've alway just used the sound system available to me at the time for mixing...A year ago when getting a Dell computer I chose to get an upgrade on the speaker system. Instead of having just two small speakers I have two small speakers and a box (about 2/3 the size of a shoebox) which mainly produces bass (woofer?, subwoofer?)...I know many people are familiar with these, just trying to be clear...I think I paid $30 extra for them and I've seen similar-looking systems at a computer store (Office Max maybe) for around $30...I've never had an expensive stereo system or been into listening to music at jarring volume levels...with that said: I like listening to music on my computer through this system...a world of difference over the regular two-speaker-only computer system. I've never felt the need to max out the volume. Would I recommend these as a first choice for mixing...not on this board...but one can enjoy music through them and the money you save could go toward "official" mixing monitors.

Back