Computer solution for Standalone recorders

Jamie Jukosky

So I've actually been thinking about getting a HD recorder because of their reliability and the number of analog inputs available. I've been thinking about the Alesis HD and and the Mackie SDR. Can anybody think of some computer solutions to this problem? I'm looking for something with 16-24 analog inputs (I have a Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO) that is fairly reliable. Let me know if you can think of anything.

actually most HD recorders ARE computers, they're just set up in a pretty reliable way and with thoroughly tested components. IMHO you can make the same thing with a stripped down computer.
Since most of them recorders don't mix, do plugins or have freecell32.exe on them they don't need the fastest/latest in computer technology, but they use reliable components (ram/mobo/chipset/convertors/HDD's...)

MOTU 24 seems indeed a good unit, but imo 24tracks is a lot of strain on a computer. Will you NEED to track 24 channels at the same time ?

Herwig

24 tracks is probably overkill for me, I can always expand later when I'm out of grad school, have money and the technology is even better. I would be completely happy with 16. Some of the bands I want to record are seven piece rock/punk groups that have guitars, drums, bass, vox, and a couple horns. I'd like more than 8 simultaneous recording inputs. Since most of these bands are great live, I suppose I could just find a good live space and stick some binaural mics in my ears and record it on something with 2 inputs:D

There's a much cheaper alternative for 16 track simultaneous recording. The Fostex VF160 is capable of doing it if used with an external adda-converter. The new Behringer ADA8000 8 channel mic preamp/ADDA-converter that should be in stores in Q3/03 would be an excellent add-on to VF160 for total of 16 analog mic/line level inputs (10 with XLR&Phantom, 6 with 1/4" jacks) at around $1000.

Back