Computer recording or stand alone recorder like Tascam dp 32?

I have owned the Tascam DP-24. It was defective as other buyers of this were discovering. I ended up getting it replaced. Seems Tascam is having quality control issues. I thought the DP32 took care of these issues. After finding out Tascam only has 6 month warranty on labor I sold it and and bought a Zoom R-16 which I love and would not part with.
The Tascam has a very large foot print and is heavy. Not something your going to want to lug around. But it did basic recording well. It had a bright, sterile sort of sound. The basic interface was easy. Getting to anything else was through a difficult menu system. The effects were not very usable, at least on the DP-24. I used it for straight recording taking the SD card and mixing my recordings on my MAC with REAPER or Garageband.
The ZOOM R-16 is very light weight, I didn't purchase it earlier because it was so light. I've had it for two years now and not a problem with it. It records with a bit of warmth to the sound, while still maintaining the clearity. I add a slight bit of reverb to all recordings on this. Record to an SD card then to REAPER on the Mac where I add EQ, Compression, Effects, etc...
Editing on either of these would be a challenge because of the small screen and both have menu systems that are not intuitive to use.
A plus with the Zoom is that it can also be used as a computer interface. You have to download and install the drivers from Zoom.com
It does a decent job. The Tascam DP-24 not so much.
I now use an Apogee Duet, I picked up on EBay and there is a difference in sound but, it only records two channels. I still bring my ZOOM to recordings because I know it always works. Turn on, plug in, hit record.
The computer interfaces are so finicky, not for the technically challenged. You have to setup drivers in your operating system and then in your recording program, making sure they each have the same settings. Have to mess with them more than not and when I'm recording in the field, if it doesn't boot up and configure, fast, I pull out the Zoom.
Would I buy the Zoom again and again. MOST DEFINITELY. always does as it's supposed to.
I have made several videos with the zoom and the Tascam. Deb Erney - YouTube
The Tascam was used on the earlier recordings, the zoom on the middle recordings. Most of them are posted with the equipment I've used on them.

Even though I'm fine with the process of DAW recording, my experience is that you ALWAYS have to upgrade $omething...always. TASCAM has the DP 24 coming back out with SD-only and no MIDI for $399.

Even though I'm fine with the process of DAW recording, my experience is that you ALWAYS have to upgrade $omething...always. TASCAM has the DP 24 coming back out with SD-only and no MIDI for $399.

You never HAVE to upgrade anything. ;)
I could set up a windows 98 machine with cool edit 1.2a and an EWS88MT right now, if I wanted to.

Plenty of people here have DAW computers frozen in time.

Really? Like what? Anything I've ever up-graded has always been by choice, not necessity.

Other than the perpetual OS, HD, etc. upgrades necessary to keep up with DAW software, plugins, VIs I'm fine with computer recording. And the learning curve on the newer portastudio stuff can be steep. I've seen that Tascam is re-issuing the 24SD version again soon for $399. Link: TASCAM DP-24SD 24-track Digital Portastudio | Sweetwater.com.

Seriously, why is it essential to be up to date?
Like I said, plenty of people here have machines frozen in time. They work now just as they did when they were set up 8 years ago, or whatever.
Sure, if you want the latest new tools or whatever you have to upgrade but surely that ability is an optional benefit over standalones?

You HAVE to upgrade PCs in order to run newer versions of DAW, audio interface/soundcard, VSTs, etc. Not by choice, by mandate. Old machines get tired and glitchy way before a stand-alone built for specifically audio recording.

You HAVE to upgrade PCs in order to run newer versions of DAW, audio interface/soundcard, VSTs, etc.

OK, lets go a step further.
Why do you have to run newer versions of DAWs, even though that just another other way of saying you have to upgrade/update?

I'm only pushing this because you keep putting HAVE and ALWAYS in capitals like it's some sort of fact.

No one HAS to update anything.

Old machines get tired and glitchy way before a stand-alone built for specifically audio recording.
That really depends on how you treat your machine, doesn't it?
No machine gets tired or glitchy in isolation, excepting hardware failure which can happen to anything.

Heh. I even met you half way and said "Sure, if you want the latest tools yada yada".

I know many people that have a separate computer for music that's not connected to the internet. They're running older version of both Windows and whatever DAW they're using. So I dON't THinK AnyONe HAS tO Up-gRADe .

I know many people that have a separate computer for music that's not connected to the internet. They're running older version of both Windows and whatever DAW they're using. So I dON't THinK AnyONe HAS tO Up-gRADe .

There's definitely a number of them around these parts.
Didn't ECC (or someone else) stick with old gear because he likes his PCI cards and didn't want to lose support?
Miro might be another one.

This would have been a much more debatable topic a few years ago. And speaking as someone who recently made the switch to computer daw recording from my trusty ole' Yamaha AW4416, it's a no brainer. Go computer recording. All in one's are a dying breed. I will say this however, I still track with my 4416 then transfer the tracks to Reaper using ADAT and MTC - 8 tracks at a time, for editing and mixing. I find it easier for now with no latency issues and punch in and out easier for me on the 4416. I only record so far in 24/48 or 24/44.1. I will eventually eliminate that step, but for now it works great. I would not recommend the Yamaha AW4416 to anyone with little or no experience however as it is a monster to learn.

t's a no brainer. Go computer recording
It really is a no brainer. Even if someone decided to never spend a penny on plug-ins, they'd still have access to a thousand times more GOOD free plug-ins, effects, etc....than anything you'll get on any standalone. Not to mention un-limited tracks.

I was also a stand-alone used for years. I was also very stubborn when it came time to switch, hanging on to my TASCAM 2488 like it was herpes. I even did it in baby steps. First, recording on the TASCAM but mixing in REAPER. Finally, I bought an inter-face and started doing everything in REAPER. I can't believe I waited so long to make that switch. There is absolutely no comparison between the flexibility, options, and ease of PC recording compared to a stand-alone.

^^^^This is the direction I'm heading when my 2488NEO bites the dust. I've already acquired a Tascam US1800 and starting to use it occasionally as an alternative to the 2488. I do like the transport controls of the PortStudio, so I think I'm going to add on a Korg nanoKontrol2 , as I'm not fond of using a mouse and/or keyboard for transport functions.

While I like the PortaStudio all in one concept, they've been losing some of the features I use such a as S/PDIF and MIDI ports, so time to move on.

My setup may be a little over the top. I have a rack powerstrip, a two channel preamp for the S/PDIF connection (a big thank you to Jimmy), a compressor for who knows what (I had it and thought for drum recording it might come in handy), run 1 extension cord to a power outlet and I am set. The USB light is because after 25+ years of computing, I still have to look at the keys). I carry a mouse, but can use the pad.

That rig (and it is a low end laptop) was about $600 US (not including mics, which is a different story).

Back