Computer recording: is my processor up to spec?

matt's bedroom

Hi there,

I'm afraid I've got another quick question:

Recently I've started recording onto my computer and have been getting unsatisfactory results.

When I record, I find that syllables and beats have been omitted, and the timing muddled up. It seems that my computer cannot not 'keep up' with the recording process.

This leads me to believe that either I haven't got a fast enough processor, or I haven't got enough RAM.

The specifications for my computer are:
AMD-K6 processor (500MHz)
128MB RAM

I don't know much about computers, so can anyone tell me if this is enough processing power for recording?
If not, what do I need as a minimum?

Finally, the reason I think it is the RAM or processor that is the problem is because I am experiencing difficulties with other processor-hungry tasks (burning CDs and playing DVDs).

Upgrade processor and ram- deffinately

My old computer was a AMD K6-2 500 MHz (win98SE), with 256MB RAM, and I think I'd rather kill myself than record on that. (gave it to mom to use for e-mail, sometimes I stumple onto it and thank myself for buying a new what I'd consider super computer compared to it)

I wouldn't go under a 1 GHz processor, at the VERY minimum if you must.
At which stage you'll probably have a motherboard that supports DDR, and I wouldn't recommend less than 256

----
so my recommendation at least upgrade: motherboard, which will mean upgrading RAM and Processor.

at the very least do that, and you can just keep your exisiting CD drives, sound card (should be able too), video card (if it's AGP or PCI), etc.

How much money do you have to put into upgrading/new system?

with a budget listed it's easier for us to recommend what to upgrade and with what...(oh, and list everything you know about your exisiting PC hardware, and what software are you using to record your music?)

_Mike

Nosferous,

You've confirmed my suspicions -- I thought I might be lacking on the processor and RAM front.

I don't really have a budget as such. But my Dad builds computers as a kind of hobby, so there are certain parts available that I can use to upgrade my existing machine.

He has a spare AMD-K7 1000 MHz and some spare RAM. Hopefully I can use the current motherboard and increase the RAM to 256MB.

That's the best I can do: a 1000 MHz processor and 256MB RAM.

I should note, the only type of recording I do is from tape player to the line in:

Basically, I record the separate tracks onto tape (vocals, guitar, etc). Then I record these tracks onto my computer to mix them (using ACID XPress at the moment -- it seems quite simple and easy to use).

This method may sound quite clumsy, but it suits me (and my hardware limitations) just fine.

Ultimately, I just need a machine powerful enough to record analogue tape to wav with no hiccups -- and only every now and then.

Hopefully I don't require as powerful a machine as if, say, I was doing all my recording straight onto the computer.

Cheers

Matt

You may have to update your bios so you can use that 1000Mhz chip, maybe not.

At least do 256 ram, I'd shoot for 512 if you can for the hell of it. It'll put you in a very nice RAM zone.

what you're doing seems simple enough and if you don't add any real time effects to your audio once you get it from tape to PC you could probably do with even 800Mhz. But I'd still do the minimum of 1GHz just to be on a more solid side of things.

Hopefully that'll work out for you.

_Mike

1000 Mhz and 256meg should be fine.

I was running 700MHz and 256 meg - I'm running Cubase SX and only with 9 plus tracks of audio plus effeects did I get any kind of problem.

So I increased the RAM to 512 and now - no problems.

Back