Computer question

riley357

HR MUSE
My son who is 17 wants a small laptop for school. What really is the difference between an AMD processor and an Intel processor. C7 swears by Dell products, frankly I think that they are all the same. I think that they are all built in the same factories for the most part anyway. Input?

it's like the difference between an engine made by Ford and an engine made by Chevy. They both do the same work, just differently. Depending on the model you get, maybe one might be more efficient than the other.

just go with Dell...their prices are pretty decent and it's easy to create one that will suit him.

riley357 said:
My son who is 17 wants a small laptop for school. What really is the difference between an AMD processor and an Intel processor. C7 swears by Dell products, frankly I think that they are all the same. I think that they are all built in the same factories for the most part anyway. Input?

All circuits are. Dell may send the schematics for their Latitude to the same place as HP & pressed up. These days, processors are so fast, that you will loose maybe 10ms from an Intel core 2 duo performance to an AMD X2 for example. That's on some things....

Going with an AMD chip can save you some money since they don't spend as much on advertising and the like, so their cost is usually less than a comparable intel chip. As far as how they work, cpu are nothing but a bunch of logic gates. The only difference is their architecture and the clock speeds they run at. Remember faster speeds do not always mean more performance. As far as Dell, their stuff is fine. Just make sure you get a warranty if you are getting a laptop, they are fragile little suckers.

Just an interesting thing I heard once: The performance and budget intel lines are identical, except that the budget lines have some of the cache damaged to decrease performance. Its more cost effective for them to make all the chips identical.

riley357 said:
I think that they are all built in the same factories for the most part anyway. Input?

You're right. All the top 10 companies (including Mac) are actually built by Quanta or Compal.

Back