Computer Processors

knightknife

Does the processor in a computer affect the recording quality? Would the recordings sound better with a better processor? I have a 2.0ghz processor. Is this a decent processor?

The CPU has no effect on the recording quality as such. Slower processors means it just takes longer to do some things (such as rendering files). Your 2.0 processor is fine.

i have a 2Ghz processor and 2 gigs of ram and i get by just fine. more than fine actually.

your good with what you have.

(sorry to repeat gecko) but i saw u have what i have and i thought i should let you know your safe with 2ghz lol

it also depends on whether you are using softsynths or software based effects..there are workarounds but many of them are CPU unfriendly and some sample based ones eat up your RAM..

I'd say what you've got will be fine but depending on the complexity of your projects and use of software you may find it limiting eventually

Does the processor in a computer affect the recording quality? Would the recordings sound better with a better processor? I have a 2.0ghz processor. Is this a decent processor?

No, No and No

However CPU speed in of itself is largely meaningless without context

whilst a slow processor won't affect audio quality I'd take a look at the machine as a whole.
If this is a desk top with a processor that slow it is probably pretty old. That means slow RAM, Slow Drive, and Old components getting closer to burn out.

If this is a laptop if it is not a Mac or purpose built for audio by someone like ADK Pro audio then it is most likely very, very poorly executed for audio from the BIOS to FW chipset and BUS execution and everything beyond and may simply just not work, especially if you are hoping to use a FireWire interface

If you are not looking to use a lot of simultaneous inputs for recording and do not need to use a lot of plug ins and soft synths you may be able to get by. If you are lookng for more complex plugs and a lot of software based instruments you may run into problems

What you want do do with the machine is going to determine whether it is capable of coping with the demands.

Back