Computer problems......

Shailat

My HD went today.....Why cant they make things work for more then 2 years:mad: :mad: :mad:
my washing machine works hard everday but has been working at least 6-7 years with out a problem.....

So - I get a new HD and install win98SE and as soon as I try to copy files from my backup disk to the new one, I get a notice "cannot copy file: File system error(1026)

what is that and do I axe this god damm Pu-ssy

Questions:

1) When you say "backup disk", what exactly to you mean?

2) Assuming your "backup disk" came from the same PC, was it also set up with Windows 98SE? And was it installed with the SAME CD? (I ask this because there are both "OEM" and "Upgrade" versions of Win98SE, and they install differently)

RWhite said:
Questions:

1) When you say "backup disk", what exactly to you mean?

2) Assuming your "backup disk" came from the same PC, was it also set up with Windows 98SE? And was it installed with the SAME CD? (I ask this because there are both "OEM" and "Upgrade" versions of Win98SE, and they install differently)

1. It's a second HD that was on the same PC no operating system or anything just a HD for back up for audio files.

2. It was also set up with win98SE. But same CD ?!?!? :confused:
It was 2 years ago I don't remember.....what is the difference?

I tried to move some files from the back up to the new one and some transfered fine while others (of the same exact nature/format) gave me that error box....

And last how do I solve the problem if it is another disk......?

OK I see - when you said "back up" I thought you meant a back up of your system disk, or partition, rather than just a second data drive.

In your case, the version of Win98SE should not matter.

Copying operating sytem files can cause that error, because Windows will not let you copy onto a file that is already open. If you are copying a data file, and there is not already a file by the same same name, there should be no problem.

"And last how do I solve the problem if it is another disk......?"

Again, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this.

I have to sign off now, but I'll check again in a few hours...

I think I'm onto the problem

It seems that only the folder with the plugins gives that error.

I havnt yet had the time to install the audio software for the card as well as the plug ins. It lets me transfer all the audio files and all the rest of the info but as I said only the plug in folder gives the problem....

I guess that as soon as I reinstall the software and the plugins I wont have the problem....I hope.

What do you think?

Sounds right to me.

You can't just "move" the plugins anyway. They need to be registered with the OS. Since you reinstalled a new OS, you need to re-register the plugins. You do that by installing them again.

Dach is right, and that holds true with virtually all Windows programs. They need to be installed to work - the installation will make required entries into the registry. Just copying a program folder wont do it.

Back