computer monitor hum

rightbrainnow

Im well aware that when i have my computer monitor on, it messes with my guitar signal...that annoying buzz sound. Its a rather large and old monitor, and im curious if that same annoying buzz comes around if you have a LCD flatscreen monitor. Does anybody know?

rightbrainnow said:
Im well aware that when i have my computer monitor on, it messes with my guitar signal...that annoying buzz sound. Its a rather large and old monitor, and im curious if that same annoying buzz comes around if you have a LCD flatscreen monitor. Does anybody know?

he he....i know this issue!! My 2 big old 21' Philip's turn my guitars into AM radio receivers!! I just record well away from them now via a remote control surface, or angle my guitars away from the monitors....
I guess that because LCD's work very differently to CRT's, this would no longer be an issue. (If I could afford the 2 I like!!)
Regards,
Superspit.

rightbrainnow said:
First, make sure that it is indeed your monitor and not the computer itself (yes, RFI can come from the computer also.) Keep the computer on but turn the monitor off. If the hum disappears, then it is you monitor. If not, it could be coming form the computer itself.

If it is indeed the monitor, then yes, and LCD display would most likely get rid of it. That hum is usually RF EMI caused by the yoke of the CRT yanking the electron beam back and forth some 72-90 times a second (that's a second hint as to the souce; if the hum is cominng in at the 72-90Hz frequency range, that's a dead giveaway that its probably the CRT and not the 50-65Hz of an AC hum) Since LCD are not using a CRT with an electron beam being yoked back and forth, they typically will not generate that same kind of RFI.

But as superspit mentioned, sonetimes it can be possible to reduce or eliminate the hum by judicious placement of the monitor vs. the rest of your equipment, including all cables.

G.

Back