Computer Mic

PrettyChica

What mic should I buy for the computer?
I would like to record with this mic and I want my vocals to sound decent.
I want a mic that I can just connect straight to the mic jack of the pc.

Well for one thing decent is relative, but considering the mic jack (pink) is a mono 1/8" connector, even the best of computer mics are going to get pretty crappy quality. It would be fine for online gaming or maybe even conferences and voice commands if you had a headset, but I think you're much better going with a USB mic. A couple come to mind, the snowball and an mxl mic intended for podcasting. If memory serves, the mxl mic uses the line-in (blue) jack on your computer, which is stereo, and the snowball is USB. I'll look them up and edit them into this post.

What are your intentions for this mic? Are you doing podcasts?

EDIT: The MXL mic is actually XLR but is battery powered and comes with an XLR to 1/8" st converter. It's here

The snowball is a bit more, but will be a lot better quality. It's here
There's also a blem snowball on musicians friend here

the usb mic should show up like a soundcard, so all you have to do it is set it as your default recording device (just like you do when changing soundcards).

Also apple sells them (blue snowball)so if you've got an apple store nearby you could go and pick one up.

This is the only one I found on ebay (that didn't have a buy it now for retail price), if you want to go that route.

Back