Computer Info

HEARTTYME

i have a averatec laptop with with a athlon xp-m 2400 proccesor,1.21 ram,i was wondering is this ideal for recording.because i have tascam us 122 interface ive tried cake walk ,cubase,reason,fruityloops,and no matter which one i use theres always dropouts,glitches,and all type of problems.but when use the onboard generic realtec97 soundcard the programs work with no dropouts in audio.but when i use tascam with asio drivers with the onboard soundcard disabled.i have drop outs latency issues.so was wondering do i have the wrong computer ,proccessor speed,soundcard,or how could i configure my cpu 2 be compatible with my tascam us-122? can anybody shed some light on this situation?

My opinion is that your problems are due to the fact that you are using a USB interface. USB is not a great option for audio interfaces - Firewire and PC-Card alternatives on a laptop would be more reliable. Are you using the latest Tascam drivers? It could even be due to an IRQ conflict if your USB controller is sharing an IRQ with something like your IDE controller or video card.

Having said that, an Athlon XP-M processor is quite dated and today's software is a bit more demanding.

Does your laptop let you actually do anything in the bios? If so, turn off every pereferial it lets you turn off. Also, Ive yet to meet a Tascam I liked. Plus, their company support sucks.

The ideal laptop for recording is a Core2Duo T7600 with 2GB Ram and a RME interface. Or a MacBook Pro with a MOTU. Anything other than those two are less than ideal in my fairly educated opinion.

HEARTTYME said:
i have a averatec laptop with with a athlon xp-m 2400 proccesor,1.21 ram,i was wondering is this ideal for recording.because i have tascam us 122 interface ive tried cake walk ,cubase,reason,fruityloops,and no matter which one i use theres always dropouts,glitches,and all type of problems.but when use the onboard generic realtec97 soundcard the programs work with no dropouts in audio.but when i use tascam with asio drivers with the onboard soundcard disabled.i have drop outs latency issues.so was wondering do i have the wrong computer ,proccessor speed,soundcard,or how could i configure my cpu 2 be compatible with my tascam us-122? can anybody shed some light on this situation?

Download and try out Reaper (www.reaper.fm) and head over to their site. I do not have your card, but your set up is as good as mine and I do not have too many problems with performance. in addition, the people at the Reaper forums are wicked helpful.

jim

Back