Computer Desks - Racks Question

KiFF BluEs

Here's what I don't get. If I purchased a computer desk like THIS and put an Audio Interface on the rack and plugged in a few mics, wouldn't the wires be in the way of everything? You would have mic wires coming right out of the interface down the center of the desk right over the keyboard and everything wouldn't you? And all computer desks have the same thing, with the rack right in the center. Do people have this problem, or am I thinking too hard, lol?

i think in the case o fusing an interface and miking into it, you would end up having chords on the desktop. I build my own desks and racks so i end up with exactly what i need. Granted, i'm not one to get into the look and classiness of my studio since it's just me and my partner, but it does allow me to spend $40 on 2 x 3's and $25 on rack rails, and i can make any configuration i need.

I personally could never use a desk like that. I'm sure there is some better furniture out there somewhere though.

KiFF BluEs said:
Here's what I don't get. If I purchased a computer desk like THIS and put an Audio Interface on the rack and plugged in a few mics, wouldn't the wires be in the way of everything? You would have mic wires coming right out of the interface down the center
If you have an interface box that has it's connections on the front of the unit (e.g. a Presonus Firepod), yes this could be a problem. But if you have gear that's designed like 99.95% of rack mount gear with all it's connections on the back, then it's not an isue.

I have a desk and overbridge from MidAmerica that has angled dual 8U rack bays under each wing of the overbridge and I don't have a single piece of gear that gives me this issue because eveything I/Os from the rear panel, not the front (the occasional headphone jack notwithstanding.) The only thing I have with front panel access is my main patch bay, but I have that mounted in a siderack next to my desk so it's not in the way at all.

G.

I've got THIS ONE I keep a Furman, Compressor, Microverb, Denoiser, a Rack Shelf and the power for my PCs in the rack, nothing sticking out the front. Patchbays and anything with more than a headphone jack on the front is on the side rack.

Though the recording desk industry has come a long way it still has some catchup to do. I had the same dilemma you do. In their defense, they really dont know what everyone will be doing in thier studio or how they will do it.
I ended up having a friend build me one to my liking. His price was double in the end what he thought it would cost to do it so it set me back about $1300 usd. Still I would have it no other way,now I have a huge behemoth of a desk with all kinds of room and surfaces that slide where I want them to,and things where I want them.I cant post more pictures here in duplicate but in the studios area I have posted pictures of it.
If you are not a carpenter there are lots of them with a basement full of tools and its their thing you know like music is ours,so they would love to do it.

Back