computer capabilities and new interface/mixer

NCdan

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not the most computer savvy guy... :confused: Anyway...

In considering how to to spend my $2,000 gear budget once I get back to the States, the thought occurred to me that upgrading my interface would probably be the largest improvement I could make to my home recordings. The reason being that I would be able to record every channel of my edrums seperately (8 channels) instead of recording the whole kit in stereo. The thing that I'm wondering is: what kind of power would a computer need in order to comfortably handle eight channels being recorded simultaneously? Also, I'd be playing back those eight channels plus the rest of the channels, with at least 1 plugin per channel, and that would be as many as fifteen channels with 1 or more plugins being played back. I don't have my desktop with me that I use for recordings, and thus I don't really know the specs off the top of my head, but I've played back as many as 9-10 channels all with multiple plugins at one time and it does just fine. I haven't had the capabilities to record three, let alone eight channels at once, so I don't know if recording that many channels would be any more taxing on a computer than the playback I've done with it. See how clueless I am? :D

And one more question: what is a good firewire interface or mixer that can really handle eight simultaneous inputs? I'm willing to drop $1,000 or a bit more. If there honestly aren't any in that price range, then so be it. I just want you guys to tell it to me like it is. Btw, I'm using Adobe Audition 3.0, if that is anything to take in to consideration. Thanks. ;)

I had a friend record eight channels with a 486 (i.e., old) box. There probably isn't a computer for sale today that couldn't handle eighty channels with power to spare. Just keep crapware off of it.

As far as inputs I'm a PCI bigot (expansion cards that plug directly into the buss) so I'm no help.

Hi there,

As for the computer, I think 2 GB of RAM is more than enough for what you'v described you want to do.

As for the interface

Check this little beast out

Zoom R16 Multi-Track SD Recorder Interface and Controller

It will handle 8 channels as audio interface.

It will work as a standalone multitrack recorder

It will work as a controller for your DAW software, making mixing process very comfortable

It will cost you 400$ !!!

I'm a bit leery of budget solutions, as I've had the displeasure of using cheap firewire boards in the past and they usually ended up choking on the tracks or at least not working very well. Don't get me wrong, if $400 will get me a great firewire interface or mixer with at least 8 channels then I'm game, but I'm more than willing to spend the money necessary ($1,000 or a bit over is my limit) to get something of better quality. Thanks.

That Zoom product looks pretty sweet. I wonder how good the preamps are.
They're serviceable. I've heard them described as thin, but thus far, I've never found them to be that way at all. I've been using mine for about 3 months now....zero issues and it seems to be pretty quiet. I have not used a good LDC condensor with it yet, tho. My next project will require that, so I'll get a better feel for the preamps then.:cool:

I'm a bit leery of budget solutions, as I've had the displeasure of using cheap firewire boards in the past and they usually ended up choking on the tracks or at least not working very well. Don't get me wrong, if $400 will get me a great firewire interface or mixer with at least 8 channels then I'm game, but I'm more than willing to spend the money necessary ($1,000 or a bit over is my limit) to get something of better quality. Thanks.

The ZOOM is USB 2.0, and yes, it's more than capable for 16 tracks. I've not gone any further than that...yet.

Truth be told, for all that FireWire is hyped up to be it has left me frustrated more often than not while USB products, even the cheapo ones running on USB 1.0 have run flawlessly. Go figure? But I'm not necessarily against USB 2.0, and it should be fine so long as I unplug all other USB devices when recording, right? The limited amount of Zoom products I've tried (which is mostly guitar stuff) have been cheap and not something I would like to spend money on. I'm just a bit scared of trying budget offerings from smaller companies. I did find this USB 2.0 mixer, and it is tempting for the money: http://www.tascam.com/products/m-164uf.html.

Back