Compressor

bucchild

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help with my compressor issues. I was having problems with my Alesis 3630, and the general consensus was that my 3630 was the problem itself. So I ran back a.s.a.p. to Sam Ash to return the 3630 and got myself a dbx 266XL....I recorded some vocals with a client this week and it made a WORLD of difference. It actually does something, unlike the 3630. Thanks again everyone.

Now, now... The 3630 does something...

They're really good for home stereos... To prop the door open or something to keep the gear cool...

John -

I mentioned these in that other thread, but does anyone know anything about the Black Lion Audio modded 3630s?

mixsit said:
No. What's up?

Thats what I'm wondering. I know (well, I don't know, but I gather from everyone's opinions) that the 3630 is junk, but I read the opinion of a respected (by me, at least) recording engineer that these 3630s that are modded by Black Lion Audio are actually pretty good pieces of equipment, and from what they say, the mod is more extensive than swapping out opamps and a couple other components. I'm just wondering for if anyone has ever used one, or knows of someone who has, or even knows anything at all about the company, because at $225 (or $115 plus whatever you can get a 3630 for and do the mod yourself) it doesn't sound like a half-bad option to have in the world of inexpensive equipment. Click here for more info from the company.

I think that the Black Lion mod makes it about as good as any
VCA-based compressor can be. It doesn't turn the 3630
into an 1176 or anything, but IMO it's very much worth the $225 or $115, whichever route you decide to go. It's a fairly colored comp and it's pretty much artifact-free, which means that you
can squish the heck out of your signal without getting the usual
noisy pumping and distortion. If anything, it at least gives you an inexpensive alternative to the RNC...(personally, I think it handles bass better than the RNC does.)

I've heard rumors that TapeOp Magazine is going to be giving it the thumbs up.

Anything else you want to know?

I was just looking for some comparisons to some of the competition in its price range (RNC, dbx stuff, etc) while looking past the stigma that is the 3630 name. A dual channel compresser thats a definite step up in quality from a unit like a Behringer without being a major step up in price sounds like a solid investment, at least for a beginner. Thanks a lot for the input.

i agree

Hey, im starting to think that 3630 is a peice of shit also.
I have one to and it seems that the only thing that works
like it's supposed to on it is the noise gate, other than
that it's like it does nothing at all.

Sorry I keep bringing this up but those symetrix cl-100 comps are pretty nice. And for $50, you can't go wrong. I have 1 but I'm going to get at least 1 more.

I bought the 3630 because it was $100. If I had $215 to put out towards a 3630 and a mod, I'm sure I'd save myself the time and energy and find myself a better comp for $200 or less....If I'm not mistaken, the RNC goes for $175, and I'd venture to say that's a much better investment....

bucchild said:
I bought the 3630 because it was $100. If I had $215 to put out towards a 3630 and a mod, I'm sure I'd save myself the time and energy and find myself a better comp for $200 or less....If I'm not mistaken, the RNC goes for $175, and I'd venture to say that's a much better investment....

$215 will get you a 3630 that has already been modded by Black Lion. Since its a stereo compresser, it would actually be a better deal than the RNC (assuming its of comparable quality), since a pair of RNCs goes for $375 from Mercenary.

Back