Compressor: yes or no

Purpleb

I am using mbox with protools. All I record is vocals, do you think i need a compressor in the recording process before it hits the mbox? If so any decent ones for a good price?

Reactions: SRR
Do you think it does?

Some people put a compressor in the signal chain, and others wait until after the track is recorded to apply compression.

Personally, I try not to touch the signal going in, and do compression (if any) afterwards.

Obviously, most vocals will need some compression, but it's impossible to predict exactly how much, and what settings to use, so that's why I wait until after the track is recorded.

tc4b said:
I am definitely one of those who compress going in for vocals, but I think I'm in the minority. I use (and love) this one:
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/1001.html
A second vote for the FMR RNC.

It's flexible, cheap and sounds just great.

And I compress vocals on the way in too but just at 2:1 or 3:1 with the threshold set to catch only the louder bits.

Thanks for the answers everyone, that fmr sounds nice for the price.
Here is a new-b-o question. I use the mbox preamp for my mic do i have to get a preamp too if i get a compressor? Or how would the hook ups/signal chain work?
doesn't the mic have to go to the pre then the compressor then recorder?

Purpleb said:
...doesn't the mic have to go to the pre then the compressor then recorder?
Yes, before it hits the converter. By way of an insert (?) or a separtate path.(?)

I usually just hook my mbox right up to the mic turn the phanton on and go. I don't have a hardware mixer or anything else.

Can the process go like this: mic to compressor to mbox?

Purpleb said:
I usually just hook my mbox right up to the mic turn the phanton on and go. I don't have a hardware mixer or anything else.

Can the process go like this: mic to compressor to mbox?
You could get away with that if the mic's hot enough -a condensor can do it.

mixsit said:
You could get away with that if the mic's hot enough -a condensor can do it.
Only if you have an outboard phantom power unit. The compressor won't pass the phantom power through it.

If you are using the m-box for it's preamps, don't worry about compressing on the way in.

Purpleb said:
Just wondering why not?
Because there is no way to insert the compressor after the preamp. So, in order to use a compressor, you need to also buy an outboard preamp. It's just a waste of time unless you buy a preamp that is better than the one in the m-box, which will cost a decent buck then you have to get the compressor.

Gotcha...makes sense.

So this leads to my next question what would be a good setting to record at so i don't need to compress?

You need to get the singer to hold a loud note, then set the level to -18dbfs in protools.

Have you tried any of the Compressor Plugins that are available on line (Some 4 free!!)??

I use a couple freeware ones and the one that came with Mackie Traction 2.1 and they are plenty good enough for me....

Cheers

isn't those plug ins after the audio is recorded? I was talking about before on its way to being recorded.
If not let me know i will check them out defaintly

Plugins are alway after.

The only difference between doing it before and after (with digital recording) is the singer can hear the compression when you are using outboard compressors. This is cool if you have a very experienced singer that can 'play' the compression. If that isn't the case, the singer can strain himself trying to get louder when the compressor is lowering the volume.

Back