Compressor threshold question, easy one.

bobbo

This is really stupid, but I'm reading up on compression and such, and they talk about high and low thresholds. I see that on compressors there are numbers like -30 or so up to +20 on the threshold knob.
My question is: When the manuals are referring to a high threshold, whats the high threshold -30 or +20? Which one is the higher threshold?
My guess will be +20, is that correct?

The definition of 'high' really depends on the level of the track. If the track is peaking at -15 then a threshold of -16 would be considered high.

If the track peaked at -3 then any threshold higher than -2 would not affect the track.

A 'high threshold' really means applying compression to only the peaks of the signal so use your meters to determine where that ceiling is and set the threshold to a few db's below that. Most compressors let you see the amount of compression on the meter. The meter will move in reverse as the compression is being applied so you can see how many db's you are effecting. That is how you apply exactly -5db's of compression.

Ah, I see. So the threshold is telling the compressor what to compress. Not how to compress it, but at what volume level to start compressing.
How does compression affect effects? I'm guessing it would depend on the type of compression you are giving a track. Is it usually better to apply affects before or after compression?

bobbo said:
How does compression affect effects? I'm guessing it would depend on the type of compression you are giving a track. Is it usually better to apply affects before or after compression?

It will bring out more of whatever reverb or delay you might be using. I doubt it would have a very dramatic effect on anything else, although I would definitely save the effects for after compression.

The threshold is the level, upon which being reached, that the compression process begins to take place. Below the threshold point the compressor theorectically should have no effect on the signal dynamics. A 'sharp knee' compressor will begin modifying the signal dynamics as soon as the threshhold is reached according to the ratio, attack and release settings. Of course the attack setting will determine the delay time between reaching the threshold and the onset of the compression action. A 'soft knee' compressor allows for a more gradual onset of the compressors action. Just a little over the threshold cause little processing to occur. The further the level exceeds the threshold, the greater the dynamic control and the more aggressive it becomes as the levels rise even further above the threshold.

Soft knee compressors tend to be more subtle in operation than hard knee compressors.

Bobbo, the simple version.- When the signal reaches the level of the threshold, the compressor will begin to kick in. For every decibel above the threshold, the compressor will limit gain according to the ratio. If the ratio is 3:1, say, for every 3dB of gain above the threshold, the compressor will allow one. Attack and release determine how fast the compressor kicks in, and how long before it stops the compression cycle. If you reach a point where nothing will be allowed to go over a certain point, the compressor is now a limiter. Hope that helps.-Richie

Yes, thanks Richard. You guys make it easier to understand than anywhere on the net or the manuals. :)

Back