Compressor/ effects unit question.

JakJak

My mate has just offered me a 'Drawmer Lx20 dual compressor' and an 'Alesis Quadraverb ' for free.
However I dont know if they will be better than the compressor and effects presets in Logic 9 Pro.
Could anyone tell me if its worth adding the two into my setup?

Cheers

Eh, you can always mess around with 'em. But I don't think you're going to find any particular advantage. Especially with the Quadraverb... Keep 'em in the "live" rack.

Are they better than what you have in Logic? Probably not.

Are they fun things to have in the rack and potentially very useful in a live situation? Absolutely. If somebody offered them to me for free, they'd be lucky to keep their arm I'd grab them so fast!

Bob

The Drawmer is probably a pretty nice piece of gear. I might actually consider tracking through it. The Quadraverb isn't really anything special compared against plugins, but if you are using an analog mixer as your front end it would be handy to put reverb in the monitor mix.

Thoughts:

- As mentioned, the compressor could be useful to do compression while tracking before hitting your convertors.

- The Quadraverb - particularly if it's the original (there were several later iterations) - is kind of ancient. It may not be highly useful. If you use it in place of a plug-in reverb, you do reduce the amount of processing load on your computer. Whether that's of use depends on the computer and what you're doing, I suppose.

- I think the Quadraverb has a s/pdif out, so you could use it a standalone DA converter. I don't think there's anything particularly stellar about its conversion, and it's probably fixed at 16/48, so that's not all that enticing a scheme. I suppose there are (somewhat unlikely) hardware setups where it might come in handy.

The last two posts pretty much nailed it. Drawmer makes very nice compressors. Another compressor is ALWAYS nice to have around.

The Quadraverb is very, very old tech, and sounds pretty cheesy. Nevertheless, since it's free, the price is right. You could use it for the monitor feed or for live use on something that isn't one of the most important signals in the mix.

Sorry, im an amateur, what do you mean by 'use it for the monitor feed'?
Also do you have an idea how I would connect the two to my Tascam US-112 L audio interface?

What do you mean by 'tracking it'?
He means when you are actually recording. It's known these days as 'tracking', because there are 'tracks' involved.
Nevertheless, since it's free, the price is right.
Sorry, I'm an amateur
The way I look at it, when you're an amateur/newbie, any free bit of gear is worth having, if only, a)to learn how something works at your leisure, b)because free stuff in working order doesn't necesarilly come one's way so easilly so regularly, c)You can always sell it to put towards stuff you want.
But then, I'm a cheapskate.

Sorry, im an amateur, what do you mean by 'use it for the monitor feed'?
Also do you have an idea how I would connect the two to my Tascam US-112 L audio interface?

I mean use the effects unit to put some reverb on things just for monitors, without affecting the recording. You would need a fairly advanced mixing board to do it properly. To use the compressor you would need to get an outboard mic preamp or a different interface that has inserts.

Back