compressor choice

goldtopchas

I'm looking at picking up a cheap compressor. I mean really cheap, 50- 60 bucks. Looking at a DBX mc6, and a behringer autocom pro mdx1400. which do you think?
Also, do you have any other choices for the financially challenged?

ALL I KNOW is that Behringer sucks. They use the CHEAPEST parts possible, and the CHEAPEST labor possible to get the job done. That isn't to say some of their equipment isn't awesome. It's GREAT for the pricetag...........but the first word I assosiate with Behringer is SUCK.

the dbx may work well, I don't know much about it. Just thought I'd vent about the B word.

-callie-

Save your shekels a spell and get an FMR RNC compressor. They're around 200 bucks but work and sound like a 2000 dollar compressor. I recently bought one and was flat out amazed with its sound quality. :cool:

Otherwise, if you're really hurtin' for cash, pick up a second hand Alesis 3630 which is partially made with dbx components and works decently if you correct for the high end frequency loss it produces under heavier compressor settings.

Cheers! :)

Yeah... I knew I'd draw some fire for the "B" word!!!
I have a chance to get either of them for about $50.00 .
I should mention that I'll be using it with a Fostex A8 1/4'' 8 track.
I gotta say I'm drawn to the simplicity of the DBX. A few draw bars and buttons. I like to keep things quick and easy."like my women" lol....

goldtopchas said:
I'm looking at picking up a cheap compressor. I mean really cheap, 50- 60 bucks.

Pick up a used (as they're no longer made) dbx 118 or 119. That's well within your budget. Similar circuitry to the famed 160VU btw.

~Daniel

I take that back. ghost is partially right. The only thing an Alesis 3630 is good for is to practice throwing things out the window, or anchoring a small boat.

I have two of the 3630,s and since I dont need the gates on mine I did the mod thats in tape op this month that is suppose to clean them up a little. Im not sure if it did or not cause my hearing is not that great anymore but i figured it couldnt hurt and its free to do the mod. Its just weather or not you can do with out the gates cause the mod does away with the gates.
If you want to put the work into it you can place a switch in the unit so they can be turned back on though.

Scored a DBX mc6 on e-bay for $25.50 including shipping. (Told you I was cheap!)
Seriously,.. It'll do for now. I've seen a lot of threads about the "RNC" . When the time comes, I'll get one and use the MC6 for a door stop.
Thanks for all the good info!!!!!!

Back