COMPRESSION

gcounselman

Hello All,

I am currently recording acoustic guitars. I have two Breedlove instruments and am using a Rode NT3 and also have an AT4033. I am new to compression and bought a Nanocompressor (Alesis). My other equipment is: Behringer MX802 mixer, M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard, and Cool Edit Pro.

I am just now learning how to use compression and know enough to be dangerous. I am having a problem with the noise floor being too audible when I am just picking. When I am strumming, everything is fine, it's just when I slow down and am not being real loud. I notice if I bump the threshold up, that takes a lot of it out. However, when I do that less compression takes place. I am currently using Alesis' suggested setting for rhythm guitar and am using the Rode NT3 as my mic. Any pointers on compression would be very appreciative.

Here is another thing. The Behringer does not have insert jacks, which the Alesis manual said are the best to use because they are pre-fader. To compensate for that feature, Behringer has made the Aux1 send/return pre-fader. Is there any tips on hooking this thing up with what I have?

Thanks for all of the help!
-galen

i have noticed this occuring with my compressor (berhinger multicom) as well. The only way i have found to prevent this is to reduce the threshold. However, less compression does occur, as you stated. Remember that what you are trying to do with a compressor is to make a signal more even. every signal has some dips and peaks. finger picking is quieter than strumming. these are facts of life. I usually set the compressor to barely compress at the lowest volume level. the bottom line is: if it sounds good to you, it is good. you should not hear the compressor working (unless you are going for an effect).

As for setup check out the homerecording.com main page or http://www.recordingwebsite.com

to hook up the unit you will have to put it before the mixer or after it on the out put. if you are compressing signal that is allready on tape, put the compressor between the recorder output and the mixer.

i hope this helps
lates
matt

sorry i didn't realize you were using a computer. you will have to hook up the compressor between the output of the mixer and the in of the sound card. you will have to watch when you turn up the main on the mixer because it will send more signal to the compressor and more compression will occur. The auxilaries will not work because they will let the un-compressed signal through as well as the compressed signal. it just combines the signal, which is good for effects like reverb, but will not work for a compressor

I've never used the type of compressor that you're talking about; but I have been applying compression to my acoustic guitar at the mixing stage using my software plug-in. It has a noise gate, which eliminates the problem you're talking about. You could try it that way (you can get a plug-in for the Cool Edit Pro, yes?) and see whether you're sacrificing any quality.

Good luck...

what's the real point

if the strumming is compressed and the picking/arpeggios are not compressed, and the result is an quasi-even level that manages to maintain a healthy dynamic range, then you've got what you need.

you mentioned that you hear the compression less when you raise the threshold. what i'm having a hard time understanding is why you wouldn't want it that way? if you can bring your peak level closer to your average level then you've achieved your goal right???

are you looking for a particular, unnatural sound?

1. Are you compressing to hard and then compensating to much volume,
using your output knob on the compressor? This will cause your compressor
to pump and add quite a bit of noise.
Make sure you have a strong level coming into the compressor
and only compensate the gain reduction.

2. I am pretty sure you are not setting your release time corectly.
For strumming you need a different release time in most cases
compared to picking. Do you understand how to set the release time?

That would depend on the type of strum
If you want a more punchier type of strum then a faster release time would benefit your sound in many cases. However it is very dependent on your
specific needs.

If your release time is to short you might have breathing problems as the
compressor will follow your level changes (as well as the noise to follow - getting softer and louder as it changes).
If it's to slow then it won't let go and effect the next strum if you want it or not (Also effecting the noise as it moves from compressed to it's normal level)

The thing to do is adjust it and listen for a balanced sound.

Back