Compression with stand-alone digital multitrack

HollowMan1975

Sometimes I feel like a newb, and sometimes I don't.

I'm pretty comfortable with PC recording and Sonar, but I'm almost completely oblivious to using a digital multitrack recorder. I want to record our band's songs this summer, and primarily, the tricky part I think will be the drums. So I've been looking at digital multitrack recorders, in particular the Zoom MRS1608 and the new Korg D888 because they both feature 8 XLR ins, enough phantom power for a few overheads, and they can each record 8 tracks simultaneously. Our drummer has an -enormous- kit (2 kicks, 2 snares, 2 cable hihats, 7 toms and a zillion cymbals) so I need all the simultaneous channels I can get.

Here's my question: because drums require quite a bit of tweaking with compression and EQ to get them to sit properly in the mix, I'm a bit concerned about the built-in compression capabilities of these stand-alone recorders. Do the compression and EQ settings you can apply to each track on these types of recorders (like the Zoom or the Korg) actually affect the signal before it's recorded or after ?

With some machines you can select pre- or post-fader FX, but I don't think either the Korg of the Zoom have the capability - or the processing power - to do what you're looking for.

Have you considered a multi-in interface for your computer with an ADAT lightpipe interface? Then you could add one of these and have all the inputs your drummer could shake a stick at!

Right now I have an AP2496, and I guess I could move up to a Delta 1010 or something, but in order to get all the mics working properly, I'd need to pick up a mixer with at least 8 XLR ins and separate effect sends for each channel wouldn't I?

Back