Compression Settings

MercyfullMusic

Okay guys, I'm having a real problem getting things to compress right in Sonar. I have read and understand pretty well the principals and differences between compressing and limiting things, and I have been trying to get my tracks to be more even with more punch, etc. especially with drums.

The problem I am encountering is that while it seems that the lower parts of the audio are compressing, etc. the thin huge mountain peaks that stick up are not being affected much at all. I have tried using the limiter for this mainly, but also the compressor as well and neither has worked. I have set the compressor attack times as fast as possible, and played with release times all over the place.

One thing that I think is a real problem for me is knowing where to set the threshold and gain settings. I think Sonar is seeing a different db of volume than what I think it's seeing. For instance the meter on an individual track may say it's peaking at -3 db but for the most part the average level of the instrument may be around -9 db. This would lead me to believe that I could set the threshold at -9 db. Compress with a ratio I feel is appropriate for maybe say 15:1 and then maybe increase gain 1 - 2 db and use a fast attack and release time. However it ends up leaving the peaks, reducing the bulk of the audio's waveform and then giving it way more gain than it looks like it should.

One reason I think this may be happening is because the meter I am reading varies with where I have that track's volume set. So maybe it's not the true db level Sonar is going by when effecting the signal. Also I have noticed that if I do a visual Volume Pan that 0 db is far under the peaks of the audio, so it cannot be used as a visual guide of metering eaither. So I guess my question is how do I know the true db of the recorded audio for my compressor settings.

HELP!!!!! It has to be something simple I'm not understanding.

Those very sharp spikes, especially on drums but elsewhere also, are problematic for compression. Often if it's fast enough to stop them, it can be a bit more than you'd want to have on a track for the other reasons you'd compress -raising low level parts, increasing density, just smoothing volume ect.
Maybe try a limiter for just the peaks, then compression for the 'effect'.
Which comp(s) are you using?
The UltraFunk comp was goog for this- has (had) a limiter and comp. The only thing I missed in that one was you have to jack the 'gain' up as the limiter's threshold, then you have to lower the track post-volume to get back to where you were befor.
Wayne

MercyfullMusic,

I'm at work, so I can't test this, but do you have an external editing program such as Sound Forge. It's compression function isn't know as compression but as Dynamics. It processes the audio and renders it, not in real time. That way it can reduce those peaks and I don't believe you need to set a attack and a release.. from memory... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Porter

I have found the same problem (with drums) using the compressors/limiters that come with sonar. Even with the shortest attack time possible, and turning on the "wall" setting in the Timeworks compressor it just doesn't shave off those peaks. I got the Waves Gold pack (not cheap however, unless you don't care about "registered software" then there are ways around this), and the L1 limiter works perfectly, and made my drum tracks just thunder.

How about just letting some of the quick spikes clip? I've never tried to see how far up you could push into digi clip land befor it's audible (or objectionable:eek: ) I've 'seen' plenty that I've never heard though.
Is that silly?:D
Wayne

Back