compression ratio for rock guitar

7evin

im about to help a band record a demo in a fully equipped studio. I was wondering if anyone had a couple compression ration used in modern rock guitar.

thanx bear

I guess that answers that. I will just tinker around with it for a while. I have alot of mastering/mixing experience with Cool Edit Pro. Is there any pointers you can offer to recording guitar?

thanx

Yeah, you're going to have to listen hard and figure out which compression settings give you the best results.

If it's hard-driving distorted electric guitar you're going for, play with the attack and release settings a good bit. In most cases you can find a good balance that results in a sort of pumping sound--if the guitar is doing something like playing straight eighth note power chords, it'll give the track a real vibrant sound.

i think you'll find.....

that with harder driven amps, the natural compression from (assuming a tube amp) the tube sag and the interaction of the speakers will give you a pretty consistent sound......

rather, you may want to consider hunting down info on noise gates and high pass filters..........

Back