compression question

lemonsucker

hi. i just wanted to ask a stupid question.
my singer's voice has a very, VERY large dynamic range.
he whispers and at times he shouts.
of course, running the mic directly in the mixer and then in my computer, i get very annoying distortion problems all the time.
i was wondering if a compressor was the right tool to avoid distortion.
i understand that i should basically adjust the mixer's gain with him shouting, and then use a compressor with high output to compensate.
is this right?? or what should i do?
i tried to adjust the gain with him shouting and then compress inside the computer, but this way i picked up a lot of noise when compensating the volume...

1. Maybe you can get the singer to work on refining his technique, mike distance, etc. a little ?
2. Adjust the preamp to maximize the signal strength without clipping or distorting (at the loudest segments) into the input section of the next item in line: compressor, or DAW.
3. Use compressor to reduce remaining dynamic range. 3:1 is a reasonable start.
4. Adjust output of compressor (upward now, since the signal is compressed) to maximize signal to recording medium. Better to undershoot than overshoot.

Just my theory.
Rick

I think it's cool. Whispers and shouts! Go for it! I like big dynamics, both in singing and in the band as a total. Nirvana is a prime example of how to do that well, and PJ Harveys early stuff is a prime example of how to do it in an extreme way. :)

Try to tell the singer to back away from the mic when he screams and go closer when he whispers. That will also (if you use a cardoid mic at least) mean that you get a "proximity effect" with the lower end of the voice being more pronounced when he is close to the mic, which will add to the dynamic quality, in my opinion. That way you will emphasize the "overly" dynamic quality of the singing, which will add a lot to the uniqeness of the recording.
It's worth a try at least, But a compressor probably is a good idea in any case.

Back