Compression question Zoom HD16

drbabbers

All,

Newbie question.. I have been studying recording drums using a Zoom HD16 and part of my "training" was Compression and EQ. I am all OK with the EQ stuff, however I have some questions regarding Compression. As far as I can see the unit supports "8 x COMP EQ", I will be honest and say I don't totally understand how it will work on this hardware.

The manual entry:

"An algorithm with 8 separate input/output channels. Different high pass filter, compressor and EQ settings are possible for each channel".

Does anyone have any advice or pointers on using Compression in the post recording process on this hardware? Is this setting even relevant? I want to play with the following:

Threshold
Ratio
Makeup Gain
Attack
Release

Thanks.
D

Here's my quick response: They all matter.

Also, google is your friend, and you can feel free to read stuff like this:

COMPRESSION EXPLAINED

In fact, you should read stuff like that to give you some idea of what you're doing...but with compression, it is as much about just listening to what is happening when you turn knobs as it is about understanding what you're doing. Don't get me wrong...you should have an idea...but ultimately, if you see somebody say something like "NEVER COMPRESS VOCALS AT MORE THAN A 2:1 RATIO," then you can instantly consider that person a dumbass, because it all totally depends on your source material and what you're trying to do with it.

Thank you for your response. I wasn't so much after the theory of compression, I have already studied that, what I am specifically after is how to apply this theory on the Zoom HD16. The compression techniques on this hardware seem a little confusing.

Thanks for you help anyway.
D

Thank you for your response. I wasn't so much after the theory of compression, I have already studied that, what I am specifically after is how to apply this theory on the Zoom HD16. The compression techniques on this hardware seem a little confusing.

Thanks for you help anyway.
D

Which part of it are you having trouble with then? (That would really help..

Back