Compression on overall mix from MD8

Blackwood

I've been recording on my MD8, which is, incidentally, a great piece of machinery and now I'm starting to do mixdowns. I wanted to know how to compress the entire mix between the MD8 and my mixdown deck (which is, incidentally, a great piece of crap! Sony TC-something tape deck - uggghhh!).

Do you run the signal from the stereo outs of the MD8 to the compressor (Alessis 3630) and then to the mixdown deck or is there another way?

With this method I'm a little concerned about having to use too many connections to convert RCA plugs to 1/4' jacks and then back again.

Apologies if this question has been answered before but I tried a couple of searches and couldn't find this specific answer.

Thanks in advance!

I have the MD4S, but it should apply to the MD8. I just stick my RNC in between my main outs and the line-in on my soundcard. Works fine for me! Only problem is monitoring...I have to switch the MD4S to monitor the 2-track in (which is my PC) and then make sure my PC is sending the line-in to the line out. Oh and I have to crawl under my desk to switch some cables as well as roll out my rack since my RNCs are usually in the inserts on track 1 and 2...oh the pain :-)

Good luck!
-Evan

PS-I've never heard the 3630, but I've read that you have to be careful compressing the stereo mix, but the RNC has a "Super Nice" mode which sounds wonderful on mixes, even at high ratios it doesn't sound too bad. For $175, a great investment!

I've stuck my compressor in between my MD8 and mixdown deck before. It works, this particular song ends abruptly, but I am told that if the song fades out it can sound kind of bad during the fade out. Something about compressing post fader or something. Just what I've read. Otherwise, yeah, you'll need an adapter of some sort with rca's on one end and 1/4 on the other.

[This message has been edited by Ray J (edited 07-26-2000).]

Yo Blackwood of Knotingham:]

Try doing a mixdown without the compressor; especially if you have a vocal in there.

I have a compressor but it is in the basement collecting dust as I never could hear anything good or bad with it on/or maybe I don't know how to use it too?

Don't knock your Sony too much; I mix down to a Sony dual Tape deck but it is the ES model and it does have some very good stuff in it. It has an automated balance for input when mixing down and it works very cool.

Add your FX when you mix down; the MD-8 has plugs for two FX units and I use two. This opens the door to more creativity.

Watch out for Robinhood.

Green Hornet

[This message has been edited by The Green Hornet (edited 07-27-2000).]

Back