Compression in Cakewalk

shadow5606

This will be a painfully DUMB question I'm sure...

I'm usling SONAR 2.0 XL & wonder if there's a way to do realtime compression.

From what I understand about compression it dosen't make much sense to do it after the recording because if you've already clipped you've already clipped, right?

I'm using all of the Cakewalk FX after the fact & I'm wondering if I should be using them in realtime as I record instead?

help?

Thanks!!!

No... your question is not DUMB at all... it just sounds so :D

Yes, you can "compress" audio while recording. Just go Options --> Audio --> Audio Monitoring. And highlight your devices. Insert the compressor plugins (Timeworks, eh ? :) ) in the track insert. By doing so, you'll record the audio THROUGH the effect being insterted. Just make sure you have decent soundcard & driver, this might be causing latency problem with less pro card.

Anyway, I would suggest try to record without compression (unless you have outboard comp) and lowering the input volume. I've always checked if my loudest part is about -3db when recording. Your signal should NOT be clipping with or with out compression. Apply the compression latter after recording.

;)
Jaymz

Input Monitoring really needs a efficient latency under 10 ms (and I would say under 5 ms). Check Options -> Audio...

Anyway, Input Monitoring will not actually compress the signal going into your computer. You need to compress the signal before it enters the computer if you want to do it "properly".

:)

shadow5606 said:
...From what I understand about compression it dosen't make much sense to do it after the recording because if you've already clipped you've already clipped, right?

I'm using all of the Cakewalk FX after the fact & I'm wondering if I should be using them in realtime as I record instead?

help?

Thanks!!!
That part is true. If you compress with the program, it has already been through the converters.
Just record at a safe level, then compress in the relative calm of mix-down.:)
Wayne

Re: Re: Compression in Cakewalk

mixsit said:
... If you compress with the program, it has already been through the converters.
Just record at a safe level, then compress in the relative calm of mix-down.:)
Wayne

Thanks for that tip, mixsit. Things are becoming more clear to me now. You guys answer questions before I even a chance to ask them!

Vice

shadow5606 said:

From what I understand about compression it dosen't make much sense to do it after the recording because if you've already clipped you've already clipped, right?
Mixit already covered the clipping issue. If the signal is clipped when it's converted from A to D, then compression won't help. So it makes little sense to use software compression while recording.

As for the second part of your question, there are plenty of reasons to compress after you've recorded the signal. For ex., you might compress to even out an uneven vocal, to allow you to increase the volume of a track (or the entire mix), to tame a snare drum spike, etc. etc.

Sometimes I think we need a separate forum just for "Compression". Something everyone (at first) knows nothing about, and then realizes along the way "How the hell did I ever recrod without compression?". It could be like in Monopoly "Do not pass go, do not collect $200 until you can write a 1000 word essay on why you need to use compression" followed by essay assignment number 2 "Why I need to back off on how much compression I use".

So what you're saying is that there should be a test about compression before you were able to sign up/make your first post? ;)

cstockdale said:
" followed by essay assignment number 2 "Why I need to back off on how much compression I use".
LOL.

Don't you know that you NEVER back off on compression. You only use more. That way you can get the volume even louder!!! :D

moskus said:
So what you're saying is that there should be a test about compression before you were able to sign up/make your first post? ;)

I like it, when you sign up for an account, there would be an option at the end that says "Define compression and describe how you have used it". You can't join until you answer correctly.

dachay2tnr said:
LOL.

Don't you know that you NEVER back off on compression. You only use more. That way you can get the volume even louder!!! :D

must.....not........let.......any.......dynamics........into......this.....song.......compress more.............compress more............there.....is....no....such.....thing......as......a.......QUIET NOTE

The softest note in your song should be within 0.5db of the loudest note in your song. All notes should be as close to 0db as possible.

If by some chance a section of your song should fall below -1db, you should add more instruments to that section (or compress more). Brickwall limiters can also help here.

But Mike, what about ballads?

Same rules apply. :)

cstockdale said:
...<snip>... on why you need to use compression" followed by essay assignment number 2 "Why I need to back off on how much compression I use".
Except for those in broadcast media which get a free pass to screw everyboby's music.
:)
Wayne

I talked to a buddy of mine, he worked in the local radio-station (yes, we don't have 300 local station as the US-guys). He told me some crap about they had to compress the sheit out of the music. "Then it would air much better, meaning better quality in the 1000s of homes"....

Yeah, riiiiiight.... :rolleyes:

moskus said:
I talked to a buddy of mine, he worked in the local radio-station (yes, we don't have 300 local station as the US-guys). He told me some crap about they had to compress the sheit out of the music. "Then it would air much better, meaning better quality in the 1000s of homes"....

Yeah, riiiiiight.... :rolleyes:
I didn't mean to let TV, Cable, ect, ect, off the hook either.
Wayne:confused:

Back