Compression help in Vegas.....

Eddie N

10 Inch Member
I'm using vegas to mix soundtracks for television commercials and all seems to be going well so far, but I need a little compression help.

I have one VO in particular that is giving me grief. Unfortunately when it was recorded the voice talent varied levels in his voice. Some words are too low, some words are too loud. What I'm trying to do is bring the low words up and the loud words down to the same level, say about -3 DB.

No matter what I do with the track compressor plug in i cant seem to acheive my goal.

Any advice?? Is the built in track compressor just aweful? I guess I could manually change the levels for each of the offending words, but this seems like a simple thing to do with a compressor.

Thanks,

Eddie

SPINSTERWUN said:
:( You just might have to do that....

spin

Why?? Am i confused about what a compressor does?? Or is the built in compressor that bad?? I'll buy whatever plug ins I have to to not have to do this manually.

Eddie

Yeah- you might be somewhat confused. The compressor will tame loud spots when applied to loud spots if you leave the quiet spots alone! Then boost the volume of the whole track. That is where the "too quiet" fuck-ups get fixed.

drstawl said:
Yeah- you might be somewhat confused. The compressor will tame loud spots when applied to loud spots if you leave the quiet spots alone! Then boost the volume of the whole track. That is where the "too quiet" fuck-ups get fixed.

Thanks for the help! I understand now and it works perfectly. Thanks guys.

Eddie

Back